Hardy Zenith 1 piece for Bass?

johnnysdg

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post of this excellent forum.

Thinking of getting this rod for creek/river smallmouth.

Looking at the 6 weight.

Opinions wanted.

Thanks
Johnny

burk48237

Reaction score
I saw your PM, but you didn't mention you were creek fishing. If you can transport a one piecer its a scarry casting tool and in the confines of smaller waters the six will be fine. Disregard my PM on the subject.

Steve B

johnnysdg

Reaction score
I love 1 piece rods with my spinning and casting gear. Why don't more companies make 1 piece fly rods? I realize that for flying its an issue. Although as a skier, I travel with large ski bags.

I take my pick up on most trips and I can't see it being a problem.

Johnny

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I love 1 piece rods with my spinning and casting gear. Why don't more companies make 1 piece fly rods?
Profit or lack of. I remember stocking G Loomis Crosscurrent one piece rods several years ago. We carried them for the Sacramento River Delta Striped Bass clientele. The rods just sat there while the four piece models sold. No one wanted one piece rods as boat rods. The same thing happened with the Hardy ProAxis one piece rods. The shop stocked an eight and a nine weight. They eventually got sold, but I think that they were discounted to turn them.

I realize that for flying its an issue. Although as a skier, I travel with large ski bags.
I guess that you don't mind paying oversize luggage fees. Most standard size rolling duffels can hold a lot 9 foot 4 piece rods plus their reels and all the tackle that are needed for a destination trip. As long as the duffel weighs under the weight limit, there is no need to pay additional luggage fees.

I take my pick up on most trips and I can't see it being a problem.
Not everyone has a pick up.

Dennis

Last edited:

johnnysdg

Reaction score
You are correct about the luggage fees and pick up.

I remember as a kid going surf fishing with my father and his 1 piece surf rod that he had a special window holder for.

As an 8 yo, it looked like it was 30 ft!

Thanks to all....this is an excellent forum indeed

Johnny

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Johnny, enjoy the Zenith! That is one heck of a rod! And a 6wt should be enough to handle even trophy smallmouth. Lately I've been using a 5wt and thats been more than enough for 18-20" bronzebacks. The 6 should be plenty of fun and give you extra muscle just in case. Out of pure curiosity, any particular reason for the interest in a 1pc though? I know the main reason nowadays is usually saltwater guides who leave the rods in their boat rod holders rigged all the time.

johnnysdg

Reaction score
I haven't fished anything other than a 1 piece rod in 10 years.....other than fly rods.

I'm thinking that since I like them so much for spinning and casting, why not fly fishing.

Johnny