The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recommendation needed - Medium action fly rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy2222 View Post
How does the CT compare to the Superfine?

Well, my SF 2wt is really parabolic (full flex) and the CT clearly is not. They are very different rods. The thing is (IMO) if Bakerboy can get to an Orvis shop, they can share quality rods of MANY tapers and match his definition of "Medium".

2 more cents

-Mike
Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

My 8'8" G2 is the nicest 4wt I've ever thrown loops with. I can shoot long casts as easy as I can toss in close and do both with the same amount of finess. Since getting the G2 I havent looked at any other light duty rods, with the exception of my new found interest in bamboo.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Alec B,
You touched a topic near to my heart since I too have been searching for 'The' medium / soft action 4wt fly rod. I plan to post a review of all the rods I have tried shortly but will share the conclusions:

High $ option: Scott G2; Winston WT; Sage LL; Orvis Superfine Trout Bum; Orvis Far & Fine (5wt)
Second place: Sage ZXL; Scott A3 (a bit fast)

Medium $ options: Sage VPS Light; St. Croix Imperial

Low $ option: Redington CT

For my casting stroke, the G2 & the Orvis Far and Fine felt like I was painting the sky with the line (pure magic). Surprisingly the Redington CT was pretty good as a back up rod. You can certainly tell the difference between the CT and the other G2 but then again the CT was only 1/5th the price of the G2.
This is above and beyond M, thank you for the excellent information!
Of all these rods, could you tell me what would have a deep enough butt action to roll cast well? I believe I can adjust my casting stroke to fit most rods, but from my experience, if it doesn't roll cast, it just doesn't.

Again, Thank you!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Another vote for the Redington classic trout. I have a couple months of fishing it under my belt now and can say for sure that I really like it. Don't let it's low price tag fool you into thinking it's less of a rod then it is.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Mikel, that would be a great idea; however, all the of the Orvis shops close to me have very limited selections, if at all. One can only order them!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I can roll cast effectively with all of them by small adjustments to the cast. However, in terms of rating them here is the order in terms of ease of roll casting (easiest to difficult):
Orvis Far and Fine
Winston WT
Scott G2
Orvis Superfine Trout Bum
Redington CT
Sage LL / VPS Light (rods have the same blank, the LL just has better hardware & finish)
Sage ZXL
Scott A3

In several cases I am splitting hairs for the difference...the only rods that were slightly more difficult to roll cast than others were the ZXL and the A3.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:59 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy2222 View Post
This is above and beyond M, thank you for the excellent information!
Of all these rods, could you tell me what would have a deep enough butt action to roll cast well? I believe I can adjust my casting stroke to fit most rods, but from my experience, if it doesn't roll cast, it just doesn't.

Again, Thank you!
The F&F roll casts easily, but it's also a function of the line. I have 3 Superfines...
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I would check out the St. Croix legend ultra. I have the 8'6'' 4wt and it really performs well. St. Croix classifies it as fast but not to fast! I think its more on the medium to moderate action but also loads deeper into the butt section when casting 20-40 ft. also turns over indicators nicely and roll casts smoothly. I paired mine with an airflo ridge tactical trout line spooled on a Lamson velocity 1.5 and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 AM

Did a little oogaling and googling and found a good line up!

4weightshootout.bestspringcreekflyrods.dryflyrods. hardyzenith.sageTXL-F.SageONE.WinstonBIIIx.b3x.Beulahrods.CFBurkheimer rods

That Beulah is beautiful but 8'8" is a little long for the streams I'll be fishing.

VERY interested in the fact that they rated the St. Croix Imperial just under a Scott G2 and above so many other $700+ rods.

No luck on any Zenith's on ebay.

A few TXL-F's on ebay, but I believe those are more fast action, and probably wouldn't roll cast as well as a slower 8'

No luck with One's but probably too fast anyways.

G LOOMIS STREAMDANCE: Available and at a good price. Any takers?

What sounds like a general concensus from everybody is Orvis is the way to go whether it be Touch's, Trout Bums, or L&F's.

Any more opinions!? Step right up!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:10 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Lots of good suggestions. Nobody yet has mentioned the Loomis WhisperCreek, a high-end model that is also worth a look. It's the same as the older StreamDance Presentation (and more delicate than the standard StreamDance). At the lower end, the Orvis Clearwater is a lot of rod for the money.

I have both the 7'9" 5 weight Orvis Far and Fine (now out of production) and the equivalent TFO Finesse, which others have already mentioned. Between the two, the Orvis is a little slower and the TFO is a little crisper. I also have the 7'9" Finesse in a 4 weight, and the two Finesses feel very much the same. One thing about the Finesse is that it comes in only 7'9" or 8'9" lengths.

The 8'6" 5 weight Winston WT is famous for being just the sort of rod it sounds like you're looking for. Tom Chandler of troutunderground.com calls it one of the "dozen best fly rods of all time" and says it "might be the 'troutiest' rod in existence". Tom McGuane calls it "the five weight trout rod against which all others are measured". I've also heard it called "the staff of Moses" (although some philistines have more recently tried to appropriate the nickname for a newer boron model). They run $750 new but a used one in good condition will be more like $350. If you really must have a 4 weight and not a 5, the 8'6" 4 weight WT is pretty similar.

For the best deal going on a very nice 8' 4 weight, check out these closeout Gary Borger Light Touch rods, marked down to $129 from original $299 MSRP: https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...n5877jolg2vnpc

Last edited by moucheur2003; 06-29-2012 at 06:47 AM.