The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough
Default Recommendation needed - Medium action fly rods

Hello all, I'm in the market for a medium action 4wt fly rod, preferably around 8-8.5ft. I have not tried many, and I know 99% of marketing is subjective. One companies fast is another companies medium.

I will be using the rod for mostly small to medium east coast rivers, only for trout, using drys, lightly weighted nymphs, and small streamers. I have a 6wt for streamers, so mostly a heavy duty dry fly rod.

Right now I have a 7.5ft 3wt TQR Cabelas' rod. As far as starting points go, I like the shorter length for trees, but its too fast for roll casting well. It also doesn't handle nymphs well (using a DT line and mainly roll casting).

I like the idea of Scotts G2 series as a "technical" rod series. I don't need 40+ foot casts, I need something with feel for nymphs and delicacy for dries.

No limits on cost, whats your favorite small stream rod doubling for dries and small nymphs. New or ebay worthy.

Thanks in advanced!
Alec B

Last edited by bakerboy2222; 06-27-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: title change
Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recommendation needed - Medium action fly rods

I don't know where you sit with regard to price point, but Allen's ATS rod is what I believe to be a true modern medium and it's under $200. I have the 7'3" 2wt and it is an excellent dry fly rod. However, mine probably sees more use for nymphing and it works quite well for that, even despite the short length.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Redington CT
TFO Finesse
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 PM

Not that I am trying to spend as much money as possibly, but please don't leave out the higher priced rods if you have experience. I had entirely forgot about Allen and Redington, thank you gentlemen.

Also, I should perhaps add that when I say nymphing, I mean watching the bobber. I will probably buy a specific nymphing line, but it needs to have enough power to turn over smaller indicators, not just weight. From what I understand, the slower action with help with roll casting a larger loop to avoid tangling, and a 4wt should be just enough power for a indicator, dropper, copper set-up on smaller streams.

Last edited by bakerboy2222; 06-27-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:09 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I'm a CT convert, myself....but also have an old Orvis Superfine. If you're interested in a little pricier med action rod, I'd go talk with the folks there. I bet they can fix you up...-Mike
Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I'm a CT convert, myself....but also have an old Orvis Superfine. If you're interested in a little pricier med action rod, I'd go talk with the folks there. I bet they can fix you up...-Mike
How does the CT compare to the Superfine?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

The Sage LL series was an awesome dry rod... Will work for nymph rigs as well. I love my 4711, I take three rods to the stream and it's my dry rod every time (unless I know I'm fishing an aquarium and then I might beef up to my SP 590). Having said that, i used the 4711LL exclusively last year on the Little Red in Arkansas fishing double nymph rigs and roll casting all day, never felt the need to pull out the backup SP, even though we were casting long
Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy2222 View Post
How does the CT compare to the Superfine?
80% for 20% of the price.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Alec B,
You touched a topic near to my heart since I too have been searching for 'The' medium / soft action 4wt fly rod. I plan to post a review of all the rods I have tried shortly but will share the conclusions:

High $ option: Scott G2; Winston WT; Sage LL; Orvis Superfine Trout Bum; Orvis Far & Fine (5wt)
Second place: Sage ZXL; Scott A3 (a bit fast)

Medium $ options: Sage VPS Light; St. Croix Imperial

Low $ option: Redington CT

For my casting stroke, the G2 & the Orvis Far and Fine felt like I was painting the sky with the line (pure magic). Surprisingly the Redington CT was pretty good as a back up rod. You can certainly tell the difference between the CT and the other G2 but then again the CT was only 1/5th the price of the G2.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

bakerboy,

Look at the 8ft 4wt St. Croix Avid. It's a nice medium/fast action rod. If you throw a faster rod, it may take a few minutes to figure out what the rod wants, but it's worth it.

I owned one, but wasn't smart enough to give it what it wanted. Only much later, with a 9ft 5wt did I figure those things out for dry flies.