The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default 2wt or a 3wt?

I will pin-point everything down to a Tee. I already have a 5wt 7'9'' and I use it for all-around fishing. I mostly fish for Gill's and Medium-Size Bass at lakes and a few ponds also fish for spring and winter stocked trout in lakes. So now I just want to get a 2wt or a 3wt MAINLY for GILL'S.....I sometimes cast est....around 45-75ft at least half my spool already, but mainly it's roll casting cause of the tight cover. I'am trying to understanding the distance that I could cast with a 2wt or a 3wt? I'am able to get that distance with such a light weigh? Also I mainly use dry flies from #8 to #16 weighted nymphs from #10 to #14 and streamer's #12 and poppers from #8 to #10. I'am able to cast those with such a light weigh? I'am looking at getting some kind of 2wt or 3wt around 6ft to around 7'3'' . Will the length be a big factor on distance?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2wt or a 3wt?

For the type of flies you plan to cast, I would suggest getting a short 4wt. I have a 2wt and a couple of 3wt's, which I use for dries and small nymphs (< 16). I have chucked a size 8 bugger with the 3wt and it was not a pretty process.

There are some companies who make pretty stiff (fast action) 3wts. Perhaps one of those models might suit you as well. I am sending you via PM a link to an extensive 2 wt rod comparison carried out on another site.

Good luck!
imxer and mcnerney like this.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I have TFO signature 6' 2wt that I use for gills and anything that comes to the fly on the the small creeks I fish which includes LM, SM, Rock Bass and a few chubs. I would like to find some carp, suckers, and drum. Most of my casts are probably 25 to 35' but I do need to reach out on some of the larger pools. 55' is about max for me. I use mostly flies from 6 down to 14 but on occassion use up to #2 streamers unweighted. I do use a lot of beadchain flies in smaller sizes. I don't use a lot of lead......I love my 6' rod. I have read a lot of negitive stuff on short rods but I have not found a lot of cons. I say go for the 2wt. I did over line my rod as I did not care for it with the 2wt front taper.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I love my 7' 2wt rod. Love it for trout, especially dries but I do toss some nymphs (with a bit of weight) as well as some streamers. However, as mentioned, it's not pretty. I do miss a longer rod sometimes when nymphing across different currents. A bit more reach could be helpful. I don't know how much difference it'll make for distance casting, I haven't tried to throw a ton of line with it, but I didn't notice a problem with my 7'6" 3wt.

I'm with you, I love shorter rods.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

The smallest rod that I have is a 6'0" cane 3 wt. and I love it for hunting native Brookies.

For graphite, I don't drop down below a 7'6" 3 wt. and it seems to work for everything from palm-size fish to the occasional surprise 15'er.

I agree; small rods are definitely fun to fish.

Pocono
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I use an Allen ATS 7'3" 2wt for everything from trout to carp. I have thrown some very large streamers with it (4" articulated patterns with heavy dumbbell eyes). Given the small size of the flies you are using, I think you could certainly do with a 2wt for the panfish. The shorter lengths can take away from distance, but I haven't had any trouble throwing longer casts with the 7'3" rod and I am only a novice caster. If panfish are your only target, I think you'll be most happy with the 2wt. As William said, the length helps with nymphing, as well as from working from a float tube and such, but if you aren't suffering from a lack of reach with the 7'9" 5wt, length probably isn't an issue, unless you are fishing for panfish in rivers with interesting currents and trying to achieve certain drifts. If this is the case, maybe a longer 3wt would be good, but this seems more like a trout predicament! The other way the 3wt might be better is if you throw indicator set-ups or rigs that require more weight. If the main question is possible casting distance, is there a way you could try both rods out at a nearby fly shop to see what kind of distance you can squeeze out of them?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I use a 3wt most of the time when 'gills, crappie, and small bass are likely species.
I find that all 3wt rods are NOT created equal, though.

My 6'6" Lamiglas 3wt (custom rod on 3wt Lamiglas blank) is more like a 1wt with my casting "stroke". I usually line it with a wf1f or dt2f line depending on what casting conditions I expect (overhead or roll cast).

My 8'6" Ross Essence FS is more like a 4wt with my "stroke". I can cast a wf3f line, but a wf4f fits my casting style better.

I recently cast a 7'6" TFO Lefty Kreh Signature rod and found it to perform more like a true 3wt in my hands. The wf3f line the owner had on it allowed me to feel the rod load to perfection (no peeking at the backcast necessary) and the accuracy I had with it was superb.
(MY new TFO rod of the same length & model should be delivered tomorrow )

All those rods work fine for the species mentioned, but the Lamiglas makes a 10" bluegill feel like I've hooked into a monster. The Ross is fun, too, but a 10" gill doesn't make me worry the cork is going to explode on the next run.
Didn't hook into anything bigger than 8" or so with the TFO when I used it, but it felt like the 8" fish were putting up a good fight and it was a job to keep them from diving into the weeds.

I tried a Redington CT earlier this spring and found it to be similar to the Lamiglas in my hands. A bit faster, but still a full flex blank. Since I like the Lamiglas (and trust the glass blank to be durable) I decided to sell the Redington and keep the Lamiglas for those locations where that action serves me best.

For me, the length of the rod is a factor in distance, but not a huge factor. Just guessing (never actually measured), but I'd estimate the length to distance ratio is somewhat proportional for me. If I get 40' with a 7'6" rod I'll get close to 35' with a 6'6" rod (about 88%) and 45' with 8'6" (about 113%).