The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Fly Line for Sage Z-Axis 7110-4?

Well, Santa just gave me a Sage Z-Axis 11-foot 7-weight 4-section for Christmas . Since this is a "switch" rod, usable with one hand or two (about which I know nothing yet), was wondering what a good floating fly line would be for this rod, hopefully workable in both one and two handed modes. If there is no such animal, I guess I can always carry an extra spool for a different floating fly line for the other mode. Expect to use this primarily for trout in upper Rockies "big water" &/or windy situations, with very occasional Northwest steelhead/salmon use possible.

I hope everyone out there is having as great a Christmas as we're having!
Old 12-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly Line for Sage Z-Axis 7110-4?

Hi Neil,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

That sounds like an interesting rod. Two lines that I can think about are the new SA Sharkskin line or the RIO Gold. The RIO Gold has a long head that should work pretty good. The head on the Sharkskin is even longer than the RIO line.

Frank

RIO Gold
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Merry Christmas, Frank, and thanks for the reply.

I've heard some reports (elsewhere in this Forum, among other places) that S.A.'s Sharkskin tends to make fingers sore when stripping it in a lot. Raises an interesting question about its effect on guide wear if it does that to fingers.

I haven't done any two-handed casting yet, but the Rio Gold does sound like an interesting choice. With its long head, it should load the rod pretty well whether using one hand or two, I would guess.

Neil
Old 12-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Neil,

Take a look at the SA Mastery Steelhead line it may be a better match for that rod. You might even consider a Spey or Skagit line from RIO.

Frank
Old 12-26-2007, 01:35 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

I have the SA Mastery Steelhead taper on my 790-4 Z. In fact, I've got that line on my 5wt. Z right now as well. I have fished both for half pounders this season and really like the line a bunch for swinging soft hackles. It mends very well and performs in windy conditions. I've thrown dries, swung soft hackles, and fished sinking leaders of various sink rates. That line seams to do it all pretty well.

Now the 7110 may be a completely different animal but I would think that it should give you good results. The Rio Grand also performed well with my Zs but i think I like the SA Steelhead a bit better. I'm interested in trying the Gold but I've got to wear a few lines out before I can justify something new.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your report on the SA Mastery Steelhead line.

Wow, I haven't heard "Half Pounders" for a lot of years. Back in the 50's we use to fish a summer run of half pounders on the Klamuth river. I see you are in California, where are you fishing?

Frank
Old 12-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you plan on using it with spey casting methods much, that will substantially change what line you'll need. I did a quick search and found some info quite suited to what you're after: steelheadsite.com :: View topic - Switch Rod fly lines

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your report on the SA Mastery Steelhead line.

Wow, I haven't heard "Half Pounders" for a lot of years. Back in the 50's we use to fish a summer run of half pounders on the Klamuth river. I see you are in California, where are you fishing?

Frank
Hi Frank. The American is my home water. We had a very good half pounder return this fall despite a dismal salmon run (worst on record). The Klamath and the Trinity were also very hot though I didn't make it up North this year. Too much business travel.

Too bad the half pounder numbers don't seem to correlate to winter run adults. I was at the hatchery over the weekend to see what the conditions look like for the opener. I saw one adult banging up against the gate and no other activity.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Hi Mike,

I never got to fish the American or other rivers in that area. I fished the Klamuth, EEL and the Smith for Winter Steelhead and the Klamuth for the half pounders. I was living in Fresno and it was quite a ride. My father-in-law lived up north and I was fishing with him.

Frank
Old 12-26-2007, 03:42 PM

Frank,

The Northern part of the state is just loaded with fisheries. In addition to those you mentioned, there is the Pit, McCloud, Upper Sac, Russian, Feather, Yuba, Trinity,........

Living in Fresno, did you fish the Stan, Kern, and Kings?