The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default G loomis shore stalker vs sage vantage

Help me choose! Will be buying the rod in 8wt using it for bass and saltwater inshore fishing

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: G loomis shore stalker vs sage vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
Help me choose! Will be buying the rod in 8wt using it for bass and saltwater inshore fishing

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
What do you like the best. Only you can choose which will be best for your style of casting and fishing. Or have you even tried them yet.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

i have not tried them i have picked up a sage but have not tried it and i havent touched a shore stalker. however i really like a fast stiff action rod. i got to try one of my friends the other day and i loved it super quick action. my rod is a slower action and would rather have a faster one. also on the g loomis rod it comes with up to 100$ in free fly line on the order. so basically 75bucks off the sticker price.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 AM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

One might think that the Loomis would be better for distance than the vantage, but it is supposed to have a much faster blank than the Sage so odds are both will cast the same distance. The Loomis would probably be more accurate because it is ever so shorter and would throw tighter loops.

I owned a current Loomis labeled as still and fast, and believe me that thing was a rocket. Maybe not XP standards (a little more fishable than that), but the whole line only took a little bit of double hauling.

Its probably all up to feel. If you like super fast rods, try the Loomis, if you like user friendly Med-fast, go sage.

Personally, for bucketmouths, I like a med-fast action rod. Using a super stiff stick will tire you out in a few hours and the cast tends to fall apart if you don't give it some ompf. Med-fast will do the accuracy well under 50 feet which is all I ever fish out of a boat, and not make you work for it.

And unless you're planning on going for a championship, don't bother with anything less than 8', especially for river smallies. Gotta mend that line somehow.