The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 AM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: St. Croix Avid 7'9" 3 wt. - Your thoughts???

I found a deal on a brand new St. Croix Avid 7'9" 3wt on and pulled the trigger.

Spent a few minutes lawn casting it along side my Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 wt using the same reel and line (Redington Drift 2/3, Orvis Silver Label WF3).

The Redington is a light rod at 2.3 oz. but feels a tad tip heavier than the 2.6 oz. Avid. Might be due to the single foot guides on the Avid. The 3.5 oz Drift almost feels too heavy for the Avid. The grip on the Avid is extremely tapered... think carrot. I have small hands, and the Avid's grip felt tiny and a bit awkward after handling the CT.

The Avid's black anodized aluminum reel seat with the ebony spacer looks nice. The smoked aluminum reel seat and stained wood spacer on the CT looks kinda cheap in comparison. However, the CT does have a nice root beer colored blank, silver trim, alignment dots, and length designations on each section.

The Avid is definitely a truer medium action than the CT, however the Avid is not as slow or limber like the Superfine Touch 763. The Avid bends to your will based on the tempo of your casting stroke. The CT is a bit stiffer all around and has a more crisp feeling to the cast. Rod flex is not as responsive to casting tempo as it is to the mass of line out.

The difference between the actions of the two rods is noticeable, but for me there isn't enough of a difference to pick a clear "winner". I could get used to casting either one and would be happy fishing either one. As almost always, it simply comes down to casting preference. If you like more limber actions that translates your casting tempo to rod flex, go Avid. If you prefer faster, crisper feeling rods that transmit power directly from your hands to the fly line, go CT.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

I had a chance to fish this rod. Actually used it in a place that's usually a bit too windy and the fish a bit larger than my intended use for this rod. No matter. I was too lazy to rig up my 9' 4 wt. Since this rod was already strung up, I just fished it.

Here's the result...

16" rainbow which was hooked while tight lining a #10 Czech nymph. Again, not the intended role for this rod, but it got the job done.

Click the image to open in full size.

Just for practice, I threw a #18 Adams with it for awhile just to get some casting time with this rod on the water. It was perfectly suitable for the task.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I recently bought a 2 piece, 4 wt. St. Croix Imperial. It wasn't terribly expensive at $180.00 (haggled it down to $140.00) It is a fast action rod. I used my SA GPX 5 wt. line on it (its all I had at the time) and it worked great. Very accurate rod. Had a real nice time landing many brookies up to a pound one day.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Glad you like it. The short 3wt St Croix Rods in both Avid and Imperial lines are kinda hidden gems. They are excellent rods, even compaired to me sage 3wt I still am very fond of my imperial.
noreaster likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher