The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about
Default St. Croix Avid 7'9" 3 wt. - Your thoughts???

Does anyone have any experience with the St. Croix Avid 7'9" 3 wt? I would like to know how it casts compared to other 3 or 4 wt rods you've cast.

I'm looking for something slower than a Redington CT 376 but faster than an Orvis Superfine Touch 763.

I've cast the Avid 8' 5 wt which I thought was a pretty sweet casting rod... bends deep into the mid section and not too fast of a recovery. I've also cast the Avid 6'6" 4 wt which I thought was crisper and faster than the 8' 5 wt, but still not what I would consider fast or stiff. I was impressed with both Avids, I'm hoping the Avid 793 is similar.

This is for small stream, trout fishing. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: St. Croix Avid 7'9" 3 wt. - Your thoughts???

I had one and sold it, which in hindsight was a dumb move.I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I didnt already have a plethora of 3wts. It is definitely more in the medium range of medium fast. For throwing small dries with maybe small dropper like a RS2 , midges etc etc it is a really great rod at the price point.

Litterally only reason I didnt buy another one was I got a steal on a lightly used Sage ZXL or I would have one right now.

Compared to other 3wts it is alot slower than my TXL and Elkhorn Traveler, slightly slower than my ZXL.

My only complaint with the rod was I fell on my fat rear in the river and broke it. It took them 5 weeks to repair it which way back then sucked since it was my only 3wt.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have the 7' version of that rod and I absolutly love it, just wish I would get it out and use it more often. Its probably one of my favorite rods that I own.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It sounds like it should be a good fit for you.

I found the 8' 5wt Avid a bit mushy, but I cast like a gorilla and was trying to throw sizable poppers and streamers with it.

A 7'9" 3wt can be a beautiful thing. That size LT is the only Winston I've ever gotten real excited about.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

I found the 8' 5wt Avid a bit mushy, but I cast like a gorilla and was trying to throw sizable poppers and streamers with it.
I agree. It's not a rod with a lot of backbone. I was using the 8' 5 wt Avid with dries in a medium-size freestone river with a little breeze. It cast fine for that.

If I was chucking bigger/heavier flies, I'd definitely want a rod that doesn't mind being manhandled... I have a 6 wt BVK for those "dirty jobs".
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post
I agree. It's not a rod with a lot of backbone. I was using the 8' 5 wt Avid with dries in a medium-size freestone river with a little breeze. It cast fine for that.

If I was chucking bigger/heavier flies, I'd definitely want a rod that doesn't mind being manhandled... I have a 6 wt BVK for those "dirty jobs".
Sounds pretty perfect.

I'd love a 8'3" 5wt BVK with a full wells and a butt for my local rivers.

My 8' 6wt A3 has turned out to be a little overly stout.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:18 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I can't speak for the action of the rod, but my buddy has one in the 4 wt and broke it twice...in one year! St. Croix was very good about replacing the rod, no questions asked!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Did you end up purchasing this rod? Would love to hear your feedback on it!

I had a buddy build a 8'6" 5wt off of an Avid blank for my father-in-law and it is a pretty sweet rod for the price. I bought myself a 8'6" 4wt before they came out with the 7'0" 4wt for a trip that I never ended up going on. I would like to sell the 4 wt and by or build a 3wt "brush" rod...

St.Croix is a stand up company. I closed my first rod in a car door and called them about repairing it. I told them exactly what happened and they told me to ship it back and they would call me with an estimate. 5 days later a brand new rod was sitting on my front porch when I got home from work. Needless to say I am now a St. Croix customer for life
Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Did you end up purchasing this rod? Would love to hear your feedback on it!
I was really tempted but never got around to it.

I did a short backpacking trip with my $129 Redington Classic Trout 3 wt. 7'6". It's an inexpensive rod, but I'm thoroughly satisfied every time I fish it. I just can't compel myself to buy another rod with virtually the same dimensions when the one I have works so well.

Redington just discontinued the Classic Trout and dealers are closing them out at $90-$120.

Redington's replacement for the Classic Trout is the "Tempt". The dimensions and description seems identical to the Classic Trout but with slightly different graphics and a $20 increase in MSRP.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Either way, glad to hear you found a rod you liked. Don't see too many short, 3wt reviews on this site so thanks for sharing. If you could provided further insight into what you like/dislike and what the rod does/doesn't do well that would be greatly appreciated.