The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My rod broke!

As good a reason as any to buy MORE!!!!! Find what you like and stock up, sure enough they'll quit making it.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Unless I'm fishing Dismal Creek on the Jefferson National Forest,,5 min drive from the house till I'm stepping in the water,,, I take a back up rod. I've never broken a fly rod,,but I know it's coming (knock on wood.) Like the one guy said,,,rod tubes are your friend. End of day,,I try to break the rod down and 'tube' it before I get involved with anything else. And, I put the rod together last thing before I leave the vehicle TO fish. It's easy for a guy,,esp when in company of fishing buds, to get distracted. I did trip, stumble along, fall and break a St. Croix 9' float and fly special' rod. I think that is the last time I had tears in my eyes. The folks at St Croix are champs at taking care of ya. But still,,,,it hurts LOL

Fly rods are such petite , graceful things,,,,I just know my turn is coming.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:01 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I never go without 2 of each rod I might fish. My buddy used to always say "where is your back up", and would tell me nothing worse than a 2hr drive to not be able to fish from busting a rod. I went , fell and broke my rod. Luckily I was crossing the river to leave when I fell.

I dont go without at least 2 3wt's and 2 4wt's and usually bring the 1wt too.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

4 to 5 rods?? seems a little like overkill

me i only have 1 rod , so for now thats all i bring.
but hopefully ill expand my quiver soon
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
4 to 5 rods?? seems a little like overkill

me i only have 1 rod , so for now thats all i bring.
but hopefully ill expand my quiver soon
Seems like alot but it isnt really, I have to drive up one of two drainages to get to where I usually go and sometimes I dont make it all the way so

1Wt if I make it all the way and there is no wind

3wt for dries
3wt for dry/dropper
4wt in case the wind is blowing
9' 4wt in case Idont make it all the way to the final destination and i end up on a tad bigger water.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

i guess if you keep it in the car and park close to where u fish then its all good.
but if you have to hike far, 2 rods would be the most i bring
Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm gong on a fishing trip I'll take 4 or 5 rods. If I'll be fishing just for the day, I'll take 2. The one I plan on using and a spare.
You can do a lot of damage in a week. Between my fishing partner and I we always seem to break at least one rod when we go on an extended fishing trip and one trip a couple of years ago we broke 3

Over time we've broken so many rods that a while back we started bringing what Lefty calls an "eventuals" kit (eventually you're going to need it ) containing an assortment of tip-tops, some tip-top cement, snake guides, rod thread on a bobbin, epoxy, some "reel sized" screw drivers, and a bottle of "Sally's". It's come in handy more than once.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

4 or 5 rods? Wow guys! I'am serious about fly fishing but I'am on a very strick income paying 2 car payment's, mortage, it's very hard. But guy's I finally received my new clearwater rod. I didn't have much time to admire the rod but the 1st thing I notice was the rod tube since it's a 4-piece rod the tube was tiny compared to my 2-piece. At 1st glance the rod isn't pretty personally it's a nasty green. I have not try out the rod today too windy here and thunderstorms and roaring in. I'am still a novice on fly rods but I'll try and give a better report on how the rod perform's. Sorry guy's really don't have time to type everything that I wanted to say.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Angelo, I still have and sometimes even use my first fly rod that I've had since 1963.
They accumulate over time
Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
i guess if you keep it in the car and park close to where u fish then its all good.
but if you have to hike far, 2 rods would be the most i bring
Think of it this way I do take 2 rods.....2 rods for each spot / wind conditions

My favorite was one day my buddy picks me up at 4AM I load up and look in the back seat of his truck......9 rods, I asked what in the heck (but I had 5) and he laughed we were on a 3hr road trip to Wyoming and he laughed saying there is everything from small creeks to big rivers along our route and you just never know.

We still laugh about the 9 rod trip