The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   My rod broke! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/291480-my-rod-broke.html)

angelo1987 07-16-2012 10:42 PM

My rod broke!

Here in southern NJ We had a bad storm where I was out of electric for a week, It happend about 2weeks ago. So I was taking out my rod that was in my car and the wind was so bad during the storm pushing 90mph it was too much the car door slammed into my rod breaking 3piece. Sent it to Orvis repair shop and finally they sent me a email stating that they are unable to fix it. They are going to send me the New Clearwater Rod. :( ....I will never make that dumb mistake again.

romanl 07-16-2012 10:48 PM

Re: My rod broke!

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelo1987 (Post 471519)
Here in southern NJ We had a bad storm where I was out of electric for a week, It happend about 2weeks ago. So I was taking out my rod that was in my car and the wind was so bad during the storm pushing 90mph it was too much the car door slammed into my rod breaking 3piece. Sent it to Orvis repair shop and finally they sent me a email stating that they are unable to fix it. They are going to send me the New Clearwater Rod. :( ....I will never make that dumb mistake again.

and what was the rod that you broke? another clearwater?
in which case i assume you paid basic $30 for warranty, and update to new rod, sounds like a good deal??
i got my first rod lil over month ago and its Clearwater 905-4 and i love it

angelo1987 07-16-2012 11:53 PM

Yes it was the clearwater, 765-2. I hope that I get it soon, hopefully not the full 4-6weeks

brookfieldangler 07-17-2012 07:17 AM

I'm confused...you're upset that you broke your clearwater and that Orvis is sending you a brand new one?

wt bash 07-17-2012 09:04 AM

It happens man, the best learned lessons are usually the most painful!

williamhj 07-17-2012 09:20 AM

I've broken three rods, all three I'd built. Two were at the tip and one was a faulty blank (bottom section shattered when the rod loaded) so got that replaced but needed to rebuild. That's the downside of building your own rods. My brother's broken his Ross 4 times now. Each time they've replaced it for a small fee, this last time he decided to upgrade for a small additional fee. Still built my own though. I guess the real dumb one in the family is me, since I lend him a rod whenever he breaks his, how long till he breaks mine? :rolleyes:

ghocevar 07-17-2012 11:43 AM

I once had a clearwater that I ran over with my Jeep. It was my first rod and they sent me a brand new one. I was happy. It now hangs on my 2yr old son's wall. He is happy.

Orvis is very good about repairs and replacements and getting them back to you quickly They usually keep spare blanks around for their older generation rods, and if they run out, they send you a new updated rod. That sounds like the case this time.

I think you'll be happier with the updated version.

Hardyreels 07-17-2012 12:17 PM

Hi Angelo,

The lesson to take from this is that rods (regardless of their cost) that are not transported in the protective tubes will be broken. On the 'Broken Rod' Poll thread only one rod was broken while in its tube. That rod belonged to Marco, (SwirlChaser) who was T - Boned at an intersection and his TFO rod was crushed by the impact. Other than isolated incidents like that tubes do a splendid job of protecting the rods.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you and I know how time can drag along when you are waiting for something as important as your fly rod to arrive in the mail. Please consider keeping your new rod in the tube whenever it is not in use and this may be the last time you have to deal with this.

Ard

angelo1987 07-17-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookfieldangler (Post 471570)
I'm confused...you're upset that you broke your clearwater and that Orvis is sending you a brand new one?

Yes I'am upset I have not fly fished since, I had been home. But glad that they are sending me a new rod. Just got off the phone with Orvis they sent out my new rod today I should be at my house in 5-7 business days. I can't wait but now time will go slow.

brookfieldangler 07-17-2012 02:05 PM

Ahhh I get it now.

Can't blame you - it's tough to have to sit out because of gear breakage. Hope you like the new rod