The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default My rod broke!

Here in southern NJ We had a bad storm where I was out of electric for a week, It happend about 2weeks ago. So I was taking out my rod that was in my car and the wind was so bad during the storm pushing 90mph it was too much the car door slammed into my rod breaking 3piece. Sent it to Orvis repair shop and finally they sent me a email stating that they are unable to fix it. They are going to send me the New Clearwater Rod. ....I will never make that dumb mistake again.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My rod broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
Here in southern NJ We had a bad storm where I was out of electric for a week, It happend about 2weeks ago. So I was taking out my rod that was in my car and the wind was so bad during the storm pushing 90mph it was too much the car door slammed into my rod breaking 3piece. Sent it to Orvis repair shop and finally they sent me a email stating that they are unable to fix it. They are going to send me the New Clearwater Rod. ....I will never make that dumb mistake again.
and what was the rod that you broke? another clearwater?
in which case i assume you paid basic $30 for warranty, and update to new rod, sounds like a good deal??
i got my first rod lil over month ago and its Clearwater 905-4 and i love it
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Yes it was the clearwater, 765-2. I hope that I get it soon, hopefully not the full 4-6weeks
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I'm confused...you're upset that you broke your clearwater and that Orvis is sending you a brand new one?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

It happens man, the best learned lessons are usually the most painful!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've broken three rods, all three I'd built. Two were at the tip and one was a faulty blank (bottom section shattered when the rod loaded) so got that replaced but needed to rebuild. That's the downside of building your own rods. My brother's broken his Ross 4 times now. Each time they've replaced it for a small fee, this last time he decided to upgrade for a small additional fee. Still built my own though. I guess the real dumb one in the family is me, since I lend him a rod whenever he breaks his, how long till he breaks mine?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I once had a clearwater that I ran over with my Jeep. It was my first rod and they sent me a brand new one. I was happy. It now hangs on my 2yr old son's wall. He is happy.

Orvis is very good about repairs and replacements and getting them back to you quickly They usually keep spare blanks around for their older generation rods, and if they run out, they send you a new updated rod. That sounds like the case this time.

I think you'll be happier with the updated version.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Angelo,

The lesson to take from this is that rods (regardless of their cost) that are not transported in the protective tubes will be broken. On the 'Broken Rod' Poll thread only one rod was broken while in its tube. That rod belonged to Marco, (SwirlChaser) who was T - Boned at an intersection and his TFO rod was crushed by the impact. Other than isolated incidents like that tubes do a splendid job of protecting the rods.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you and I know how time can drag along when you are waiting for something as important as your fly rod to arrive in the mail. Please consider keeping your new rod in the tube whenever it is not in use and this may be the last time you have to deal with this.

Ard
mrfzx, jaybo41, williamhj and 1 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I'm confused...you're upset that you broke your clearwater and that Orvis is sending you a brand new one?

Yes I'am upset I have not fly fished since, I had been home. But glad that they are sending me a new rod. Just got off the phone with Orvis they sent out my new rod today I should be at my house in 5-7 business days. I can't wait but now time will go slow.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:05 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Ahhh I get it now.

Can't blame you - it's tough to have to sit out because of gear breakage. Hope you like the new rod