The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM

powell coho is on a distinguished road
Default Walton Powell Hexagraph value

Have come into possession of a wonderful Powell rod. The Walton Powell Hexagraph is an 8', marked 3-6w, and is in impeccable condition. With the sleeve and original black factory rod case - Powell decal intact - with brass ends. I am familiar with the materials and legacy of the Powell Rod Co(shame on Schwab!), but need some help and assistance determining value.

Any advise or assistance greatly appreciated. I believe the value to be in the #250-$500 range, but am an expert by no means.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Powellcoho@yahoo.com
Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walton Powell Hexagraph value

Do a Google search for Raptor Rod Works of Chico, California. If I recall correctly, some of the rod builders there are from the pre-Schwab Powell era. It may be a good resource for you.

Dennis
Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The last one of them (similar length & weight) that I saw sell on the Auction site finished in the high $600 range. I'm thinking 695 but can't say for sure.

Aside from finding a bonified collector (who would make and offer) or a certified apprasier........... the best way to find an average market value of almost any rod or reel is to search the auction site for similar or exact models and then watch all sales to see what the people who want such items are willing to pay. I do this with regard to anything I intend to buy or sell prior to taking any actions.

So......... regardless of what an appraiser tells us our home is worth, if we want to sell it, the actual value will be that which any qualified buyers are willing to close on.
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM

powell coho is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for the contact. I will get in touch with them and go from there.

Take good care.