The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wannafish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 02:16 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough
Default Sage Flight series rods

Hey guys not new to fly fishing but new here Nice forum and lots of info.

So I ran into a decent deal and got the Sage Flight 590-4 and the 890-4 Looking for ward to using them. I have used other sage rods the RPL and the Sage DS series. Anyone using the Flight series? I was able to get both for 520 shipped home......
Old 07-28-2012, 06:43 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sage Flight series rods

I really like my 9' 8wt Flight; it's nice and light for a rest from my 9wt Clearwater.
pelcrk likes this.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you did very well price wise getting both for that price. Congratulations. The Flight series is rated as fast action by Sage, so likely different than what you've cast in the DS and closer to the RPL. I *think*. My disclaimer is that I have cast none of the rods you've mentioned.

Here's an interesting thread on the history of Sage Rods.

Sage Rod Chart Old to New

Last edited by jaybo41; 07-28-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you did very well price wise getting both for that price. Congratulations. The Flight series is rated as fast action by Sage, so likely different than what you've cast in the DS and closer to the RPL. I *think*. My disclaimer is that I have cast none of the rods you've mentioned.

Here's an interesting thread on the history of Sage Rods.

Sage Rod Chart Old to New

Thanks for the welcome

And yes they are faster actions then what I used in the older models. But I figured that at that price its hard to pass them up hehe
Old 07-28-2012, 09:36 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I have a 890 flight, Great rod, use it for Smallmouth and Steelhead. Its sees alot of action and I ended up buying a second one. I keep both in the boat with me when I'm smallmouth fishing, one loaded with a popper the other a streamer. Saves alot of time instead of tying on different flies.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Get em before they are discontinued!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 AM

Next step for me is to find a 1090-4 at a nice price Then a nice set of lamson guru reels and I will be set really good for freshwater equipment. Then the focus will be on saltwater reels.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I have a 890 flight, Great rod, use it for Smallmouth and Steelhead. Its sees alot of action and I ended up buying a second one. I keep both in the boat with me when I'm smallmouth fishing, one loaded with a popper the other a streamer. Saves alot of time instead of tying on different flies.

I'm thinking that this rod will see some striper action too.