The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 AM

whitedice is on a distinguished road
Default Need Intermediate Rod/Reel Combo

hey guys. I bought a cheap starter fly fishing combo for around $40 bucks since I wasnt sure if I would like fly fishing. I have used it around 3-4 times in the month that I have had it and the reel is already falling apart. Luckily I can still return it which I will be doing shortly. But I need help picking a good intermediate setup. Not sure what features are available and which ones would be good though. I would like a sort of all around setup. I will mainly be fishing for panfish, but I need something that is big enough to handle the occasional small bass that I catch. My budget is around $100 total for a rod and reel. I know this wont get me anywhere close to top notch equipment, but I just need something that is easy to use, and will last a long time. If anyone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Intermediate Rod/Reel Combo

I doubt you can find an "intermediate" rod/reel combo for $100. Having said that, there are beginner outfits that won't fall apart at about that price point. Our TU chapter uses the Albright Topwater outfits. Look for them at 70% discount on the the Albright web page. They are now about $120 for rod/reel/line/backing/leader.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Scientific Angler Fly Fishing Kits retail at around $100
I've used one and they ain't bad

Scientific Anglers Fly Fishing Made Easy Fly Fishing Kit - 4-Piece, 9' 5/6wt - Save 39%
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Check out some of Cabela's combos, you can easily get them under 100 bucks for a complete outfit. Rod, reel, line, and backing. The three-forks combo is decent for the price point. If you have a Cabela's near by you can likely find a better deal in store than you can online. I bought a three-forks combo just as a loner rod for like 50 bucks. Also the Cabela's bargain cave in the stores normally has some deeply discounted rods, reels, and lines. There is normally nothing wrong with them, they are just discontinued. Here is a link to the combo that I am thinking of. I know you can get last years model of that combo for 50-80 bucks in our local Cabela's. Cabela's: Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige Plus Fly Combo with Fly Line
Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I started out with a Scientific Anglers outfit, and I tell ya, the durn thing cast pretty dang good. Passed it onto a young nephew,,and he's learning on it now.

Mike
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

x2 for Albright fly fishing Topwater combo. They have it listed for $119 right now. I've never used their lines but was happy with the topwater rods I've tried.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

I would not recommend Cabelas! I've had experience with rod Three Forks is not good, cork handle not "normal" quality, 1 time rod broke just caught in the bush reel ok...
Good luck to choose a Combo
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

You mentioned the reel falling apart. I presume the rod is still good. With that said, look at Okuma Sierra reels, Cabela's Cahill reels, or even Orvis Encounter reels. None of the above mentioned are over 50 bucks.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by argail View Post
I would not recommend Cabelas! I've had experience with rod Three Forks is not good, cork handle not "normal" quality, 1 time rod broke just caught in the bush reel ok...
Good luck to choose a Combo
The Cabela's Combos seem to have inconsistent ratings. Some report disastrous failures and other's love them. I suppose that is when the guarantee kicks in.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM

whitedice is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, some of this information was consistent with what I found. I just bought a okuma sierra reel 4/5 and will probably use the topwater series rod in 5/6. Any opinions on this set up? And I would not recommend cableas cahill reels. I was going to take it back but figured I would give it one more shot. I was fishing with it and it fell off and I lost it in the lake.. But at $20 bucks it isnt that big of deal