The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sage Flight and Vantage Being Discontinued

[QUOTE=winxp_man;475017]Ok it has the same technology is what the person said. Here is the link

I spoke to a technical person at the SAGE company today and he informed me the Z axis and the Flight are vastly different technologies. They do not have the same tapers and have different scrim materials. He stated that the Z axis is definitely more sensitive and precise at all casting lengths as compared to the Flight. Therefore, the Z axis was also more expensive as compared to the Flight. The Flight is a refined version of the old RPL + rods (similar tapers but updated ferrule design etc for lighter weight).
Also, between the Launch and the Flight, he recommended the Flight since it has better materials and tapers.
It was interesting that the final advice he gave me was to cast the rods before making a decision & choosing the rod that matched my casting stroke. It was refreshing to hear a company rep advocating this instead of pushing the more expensive option.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Im going to see if I cant get my local guy to give me that kind of price on the vantage. I have the 8wt and really like it. My current 3wt is a 2 piece, a 4 would be sweeeet

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=mysticm;475061]
Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
Ok it has the same technology is what the person said. Here is the link

I spoke to a technical person at the SAGE company today and he informed me the Z axis and the Flight are vastly different technologies. They do not have the same tapers and have different scrim materials. He stated that the Z axis is definitely more sensitive and precise at all casting lengths as compared to the Flight. Therefore, the Z axis was also more expensive as compared to the Flight. The Flight is a refined version of the old RPL + rods (similar tapers but updated ferrule design etc for lighter weight).
Also, between the Launch and the Flight, he recommended the Flight since it has better materials and tapers.
It was interesting that the final advice he gave me was to cast the rods before making a decision & choosing the rod that matched my casting stroke. It was refreshing to hear a company rep advocating this instead of pushing the more expensive option.
Nice work going right to the source. I had a hard time believing they were basically the same rod given the difference in price but couldn't pinpoint the differences. I've heard good things about the Flight for the price point but I'll stick with my Z's. As you pointed out, great to hear that they recommended casting the rods to see what you liked best.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info. I was just talking about what I read. I haven't casted a Z so I could not say its my experience. I'm looking forward to my 5 wt Flight and 8 wt flight though

[quote=mysticm;475061]
Quote:
Ok it has the same technology is what the person said. Here is the link

Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=winxp_man;475105]Thanks for the info. I was just talking about what I read. I haven't casted a Z so I could not say its my experience. I'm looking forward to my 5 wt Flight and 8 wt flight though

Congratulations on your purchases, hopefully they land you lots of fish and give you plenty of good times on the water. Understand what you meant I went back to read the post and it certainly read that way. Kudos to mysticm for clearing it up for the group by going right to the source of info.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:06 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

local guy gave me one better on the price. Plus I cleared out his selection of 7' 3wt Vantage rods. hehehe.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

[quote=jaybo41;475188]
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was just talking about what I read. I haven't casted a Z so I could not say its my experience. I'm looking forward to my 5 wt Flight and 8 wt flight though

Congratulations on your purchases, hopefully they land you lots of fish and give you plenty of good times on the water. Understand what you meant I went back to read the post and it certainly read that way. Kudos to mysticm for clearing it up for the group by going right to the source of info.

Well next week I plan a Striper trip with the 8wt cant wait and thanks!

Yes they sure will catch me lots of fish!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, the Blue Quill Angler guys are great. I ordered a bunch of flies from them once and they were out of stock on a couple. They actually credited my card and gave me the flies for free when they eventually came in. Thus, I am a loyal customer.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Let me say first off that I am a relative novice at this. I only have about 2 years under my belt.
That said I have a sage Flight (9ft 8wt) that is my rod I use almost exclusively for all my fishing so far. I also have a Vantage in 5wt that I rarely use, and I have a 9ft 9wt Z axis. I love the Flight and Vantage. I am struggling with the Z Axis. I find it is much harder to cast with. I can cast the Flight very well and and can fling a popper 60-70ft without too much effort. Have done a couple of 2 day guided trips where I was casting pretty much for 9-10 hours straight with only a break for lunch. I have tried the Z-Axis a couple of times using the same flies I use on the flight and I find it has less "feel". I am sure its me for the most part as I have had others (with lots more talent than I'll ever have I am sure) use the rod and their only comment was the line seems a little "sticky". I have been working on casting the Z axis and I'm getting better at it. Maybe at some point I'll be more comfortable with it. I even broke out some really old Fenwick fiberglass rods I had and I can cast those better than the Z axis. Altho I find them too soft. So far the Flight is the best rod I have according to my abilities.
pete a likes this.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:44 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Klunker, thanks for sharing your experience. Based on the comment that the z axis felt sticky, what line do you have on the z?