The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 08:03 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Flight and Vantage Being Discontinued

Blue Quill Angler here in Colorado has screaming deals on the Vanage and Flight while they last. They say these rods are being discontinued, any idea what Sage has in the line up for entry level rods?

$160 for a Vantage and only $225 for a Flight, free shipping. Seem like great deals.

Awesome Offers on Fly Fishing Gear from Simms Sage and More
pete a likes this.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:50 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sage Flight and Vantage Being Discontinued

Thank you for the heads up. Just bought a 9' 10wt 4pc Flight for way less than I was looking at spending for my 10wt. If I catch a whopper on it I'll give you the credit.

Nice guys and easy to work with.

Pete A.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

OH wow nice deals I got mine at the same price pretty much.

What kind of warranty do discontinued items carry? The regular Sage limited lifetime warranty?

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

They have the same warranty as an in production rod. They'll make something similar to the existing lineup with a few tweaks to it if the past is any indication.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

How does the Flight compare (action, weight, feel etc) to the Z-axis? I was thinking about picking up a flight in a 6wt but I have never cast one.
winxp_man likes this.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Someone here did a side by side compare post and said that he thinks or knows for sure that the flight and the z use the same blank. Also very similar in action. I will look to see if I can find it. It has been a few weeks since I read it.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

They might be the same or similar tapers and action but I'm not sure they are the same blank. If my past experience with the Launch is any indication, these two entry level rods do not have Generation 5 Technology, but use Technology learned through development of that technology.

Here's the descriptive from the Launch Series:

Launch SERIES
Developing G5 Technology clearly demonstrated that the key to better casting is the ability to feel the rod load. With our Launch Series rods, we applied what we've learned to create a smooth, progressive power curve and an extremely high strength-to-weight ratio. This means Launch Series rods provide exceptional line connection or feel, allowing anglers to cast better and more easily.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Hmm I just might have to pick one up. I love my vantage. To me it felt just the same as the Flight.

ooooh they even have a 7' 3wt 4 piece.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I have a Flight 8wt and like it but I decided to order the Classic Trout in 6wt.,been thinking on it for a while and can't beat the $90 price including shipping

Thanks Mike for the heads up!

Last edited by wannafish; 08-02-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added something
Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Ok it has the same technology is what the person said. Here is the link

Sage Flight Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
They might be the same or similar tapers and action but I'm not sure they are the same blank. If my past experience with the Launch is any indication, these two entry level rods do not have Generation 5 Technology, but use Technology learned through development of that technology.

Here's the descriptive from the Launch Series:

Launch SERIES
Developing G5 Technology clearly demonstrated that the key to better casting is the ability to feel the rod load. With our Launch Series rods, we applied what we've learned to create a smooth, progressive power curve and an extremely high strength-to-weight ratio. This means Launch Series rods provide exceptional line connection or feel, allowing anglers to cast better and more easily.