The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Sage Line Up for 2013

I was really hoping you guys were wrong about the ZXL being discontinued this year but it looks like Sage updated their website in the last 48 hrs and and there is no ZXL listed. I would be excited about the Circa if I was in the market for a dry-fly specific rod to compete with the Scott G2...but I'm not. What I need right now is an all-rounder mod-fast 5wt. Looks like I will being selling off a bunch of my extra/duplicate to prepare for the ZXL sales.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:19 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Looks like I will being selling off a bunch of my extra/duplicate to prepare for the ZXL sales.
They've started here already... 30% off so far..
Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

When the Z Axis was discontinued I was amazed and somewhat outraged that Sage could do such a thing. I have gotten over that and learned to appreciate the fact that it's my chance to get a great stick on closeout or maybe one second hand. I snagged one on closeout and recently added a 2 hander that was pre loved but new to me while in production. Great opportunities are there if you are willing to part with a few Franklins and that's how I look at this scenario these days.

I knew at some point the ZXL would go by the wayside, but am surprised that they did so in favor of the Circa. I figured they would use the newest technology and keep a similar action. From what I have read, the Circa seems to be a slower action rod than ZXL more different than ZXL than I first suspected. Really, I thought the Circa would be a niche rod with the likes of the 99 and ESN. Clearly I was wrong.

Winston does things different, they seem to keep some of the classics around--WT even if special order, but they too replace their previous versions as technology or improvement warrants--think BIIIX and the now discontinued BII-MX.

I don't have experience with ONE but am well aware of all the acclaim it has garnered. The Z Axis was the previous incantation and before that the XP. Both are still in demand on the second hand market. One thing Sage seems to do very well is create new rods that replace old models which many swear is the greatest stick they have ever thrown loops with. Think about it, how many guys and gals do you see on the hunt for LL's SP's, RPL's, SLT's, XP's Z Axis? Even if they are under-appreciated when they are in production, they are still very much in demand. Some models more so than others, but man that's one heck of a list of great rods I just rattled off. Assuming of course you are a fan of all rods Sage.

I'm convinced the folks on Bainbridge Island know what they're doing. I gladly support them as an American company employing American workers who make great products which I very much enjoy. Tackle companies are in the business for one reason: to separate you from the funds in your bank account. Years from now, I expect to be on the hunt for closeout deals on ONE and Circa. For now my sights are set on a ZXL and I'll gladly take closeout pricing over full retail any day
Old 08-07-2012, 10:17 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I have to agree that the Sage boys know what they are doing. A friend of mine grew up on Bainbridge Island, his dad as a florist and he delivered a lot of flowers to Sage and said they were always gracious folks. I'll buy some non-American products but fly rods are different. I just couldn't bear to fish a Colorado or Montana river with a British fly rod...it just wouldn't seem right.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
They've started here already... 30% off so far..
Nice! Who's running that deal? The best I have found online so far is about 15% off...
Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I just nabbed a ZXL for $435, new. Not a screaming deal but I'll take it. I wasn't going to get exicted about the Circa...but then I read it has a Black Hills gold silkscreen on the rod sock...Black Hills is my home and where I grew up. Circa would be perfect for my trips home to the small Black Hills waters. Why did they have to do that...$$$$.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 AM

jmancuso is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nice! Who's running that deal? The best I have found online so far is about 15% off...
I ordered mine from AAoutfitters.com. I wasn't sure if i wanted the 586 or the 590 zxl and wasnt able to cast them side by side. When I called i talked to the owner and he was patient enough to deal with my indecisiveness and took the time to explain the differences in action of the two and his experiences in fishing them. Great customer service and fast shipping.

I'm dissapointed to see the zxl completely phased out, i thought they would keep it and make the circa a specialty rod. But im happy i was able to get it for a good price.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Over the coming seasons I anticipate all Sage rod lines will be replaced by all-new models featuring "Konnetic" technology. This carbon fiber compression technique, currently unique to Sage in fly rods, affords Jerry Siem and his design team enormous and exciting material latitude in developing strong, slender, light weight rods. I love my 905 ONE and anxiously await an Xi3 replacement.

Obviously Sage's parent company intends to make money but I sincerely believe the rod development team at Sage are driven to build the finest casting and fishing fly rods imaginable. Sage and all other American tackle makers are, in my opinion, driven by their passion for angling and could easily make more money in other, more mainstream, businesses.

PS: I endured a 3MPH fender bender in my truck yesterday (no injuries involved) and my deductable in repairing it will exceed the price of a new Sage fly rod. A drag, yes, but it puts into perspective the relative value of a quality fly rod you may enjoy for many seasons.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Local shop.. but they do sell online:

The Rivers Edge - Bozeman MT
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
The Circa 589-4 (a throwback to the SP?) weighs 2 1/2 oz.
Whoa, that's crazy light. I'm even more curious to see those now.

The Response series also sounds interesting, I liked the Flight quite well.

I finally cast a One for the first time Sat, and I was impressed. Its quite fast, but also very easy to cast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.