The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Sage Line Up for 2013

When in S.Florida recently visiting and aging relative we stopped in the "Ole Florida Fly Shop". The proprietor is a very knowledgeable and strongly opinioned angler who knows what he is talking about. He sells top shelf stuff like Sage, Loomis, Tibor and Nautilus that dominate high performance FL fishing (both Nautilus and Tibor are made in that area). I thought he would tell me that Sage ONE was now the best #7-9 bonefish rod on the planet but no, he still thinks the TCX in all its super fast, staunchly aggressive splendor is the flats technician's wonder rod. I don't own one but several years ago I was lent its predecessor the TCR in a 9-weight. Along with 8 or so other rods I took it to southern Belize and used it permit fishing. Even in Belize you don't get a lot of shots during a day at permit and when you do you must make a cast that counts. It might be along cast and you need to drop your crab imitation in front of the fishes mouth as it tails so it won't see your fly land but only as it wafts down in escape mode. If the fish turns on it, the rods (and your reflexes) must be precise to strip strike the fly on a long line just as the permit eats and turns. I was lucky and was assisted by the TCR's technical marvelousness. Here in this rod forum we frequently write about the enjoyable, smooth action of a beloved trout rod...no one will be writing that about TCR/X. These are not rods for blind casting while searching the water and enjoying the rhythm of the cast, no, these are rods to make the dead perfect hero shot when one shot is all you get. Nothing you will ever cast delivers a fly to exactly where you want it faster and more accurately than these highly specialized, unforgiving of the smallest casting error, Sages. That is where they fit in the Sage line up and why they are available in only a handful of sizes.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:47 PM

balenciaga is on a distinguished road

sage one will be dominated by the helios 2. they are going to have to revamp it.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I agree $1300 is a bit Rich for a Fly Rod,as mentioned give it a bit of time & the prices will reduce.
I don't know what the Price will be out here as we always get The Rough End of The Deal as most Minerals are produced here by Multi-Nationals & everything is 2 to 3 times dearer than it should be after everyone has added the cut.
I've had many discussions with Retailers about prices & how we are Ripped off,one guy said because of people like me businesses are closing because I import just about everything because as I've said I'm tied of being Ripped off,if it was Fairer I would support Local Bussiness.
I have some top Quality Rods which incidently I have bought either online or ebay from the US.
Just to add to what I have mentioned,I was in one of our Local Chain Stores & was looking at a Bed.
My Cousin's Daughter said"just what you need ,the price is slashed nearly 50%" I replied "Even though it's a fantastic price I wouldn't buy it because if they can sell it for that price on Special,why can't it be that price all the time??''
Brian.
rubberguy likes this.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenciaga View Post
sage one will be dominated by the helios 2. they are going to have to revamp it.
Have you had the opportunity to cast like-sized ONE's and H2's side by side? H2 will have to be exponentially superior to original Helios in terms of taper and reserve power to play in the same ball park as ONE...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I own both rods in a 9x5. They are both top notch but neither "blows the other away".
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I may have to try one of those Circa rods. My estimate is approximately 9 months until you can find one for $350 lightly used and with the warranty card.
Hey, they are coming down already. just saw a 479-4 for $575, reduced to $500 and still no takers. My price is in sight...-Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 AM

njfly is on a distinguished road

I will say this about Sage, if you like one of their rods buy them up because chances are you are not going to like the next one. I fish Winstons mostly but have two sage LL's, the 7'11 4wt and the 8'6 4wt and they will never be sold. They are two of the nicest rods i have ever fished. I have cast the XP and the Zaxis and neither of them seemed like my cup of tea. I will say i have not fished the new Winston BIIIX so i cannot say if i am going to like it either as i do like the BIIX.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM

When Sage discontinued XP a hew and cry went up..."how could Sage replace my favorite (Sage's biggest selling model to that point) rod with this weirdo Z-Axis". Sage actually did a massive post-discontinuation run of XP's for Cabala's to meet demand. Now Z-Axis is many anglers' preferred rod and the introduction of ONE is regarded with contempt by some who find it "challenging" to cast well. And it will be the same when ONE is replaced with TWO. I love Z-Axis and it took a while and some side-by-side fishing but ONE won me over.

Sage is constantly trying to move the bar higher in both design and technology and replaces rods with new versions that push the performance envelope. They are not striving to build what you loved before but what will expand your engagement in fly fishing tomorrow as you grow into their innovative new rod designs.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfly View Post
I will say this about Sage, if you like one of their rods buy them up because chances are you are not going to like the next one.
I'm not disagreeing with your comment, so please don't take it that way. But I look it another way. When I spent $700 on my Sage Z-Axis, I did it with the intent that I would be able to fish the rod for a decade or more. Same with my ZXL's, XP's etc. If I don't like the One - and I've not cast it - who cares? I already have my Z-Axis rods - I don't need it. If I spend $700 and expect to use the rod only until the next rod is released from Sage or any other manufacturer that seems pretty foolish on my end. I personally fish LL's, SLT's, ZXLs, SP, XPs and VXP's in addition to my Z-Axis rods. I like them all and they all have a place in my quiver.

With respect the new line, I've given them the wiggle test, which is of course no way to test a rod, and the One seems stiff in the smaller trout weights, which I fish the most. The Circa seems like something I could enjoy but I've LL's when I want to fish a slower rod. I personally don't like to fish them all that often so for me to buy the Circa makes no sense because I have LL's. Are they better, more accurate and more - probably. Looks like they've tried to get back to the earlier feel of the LL incorporating today's technology. If you don't have a LL, then perhaps these are of interest to you. If you do have a LL but want a new rod with new technology, go for it.

I will comment on the hardware on both the One and the Circa. I personally think their reel seats and hardware are sub par on rods at this price point. I prefer polished nickel and a more refined wood spacer. I think if I wanted one and enjoyed they way they cast, I'd have to have one built with finer hardware.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 AM

njfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Sage is constantly trying to move the bar higher in both design and technology and replaces rods with new versions that push the performance envelope. They are not striving to build what you loved before but what will expand your engagement in fly fishing tomorrow as you grow into their innovative new rod designs.
You fish with what you enjoy casting. There is not a whole lot of performance to push in rods. If making rods faster and stiffer is pushing performance, than OK. I don't need to throw 100 ft of line with a 3wt. This is not just Sage either i am speaking off.