The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Well I was able to cast the Circa last week.

I got an e-mail saying a local flyshop had gotten a cople of Circas in. I went down to cast one. I have been anticipating casting this rod since before it was announced. I had a hunch it was the ZXL time to go and I loved what Sage did with the One. I have been hoping that putting the new technology into a new rod might hit a home run. For the record, I have always preferred to fish with rods that have a little bend to them, have some backbone, and have a quick recovering graphite.

The rod I cast was the 389 Circa. I cast it against the Boron II T 380. I had wanted to cast it against the Boron IIIx but the shop did not have one in.

The first thing that was noticable was how much thinner the Circa was in the butt section than the T. I started out with my usual short close distance stroke. On my stroke, this is a very short stroke. Quite honestly, too short. The rod hit the target and I went through some casts that I usually do with rods. Nothing earth shattering.

I then picked up the T and found their actions very similar. The T is a little more bouncy than the Circa. I have casted the T a few times and have found it a rod that is ok, but not earth shattering.

I then cast the Circa again. This time I cast it at close range, but stripped of some line and did some very light hauls at distance. I soon noticed that the line was not shooting on my haul in my backcast. This does not usually happen to me. I then noticed I was coming straight over the top with a really short stroke. i then changed my casting plane to a little more sidearm and although I was casting short distances, I needed to lengthen my stroke. When I did this the rod came alive in my hands. Despite the full flex, the rod still had some power to it. It just required a longer stroke to take advantage of the full flex. I am not going to say that the Circa is the best rod ever. I have not had enough time on it yet to make such a judgement. What I will I respect what Sage is trying to do and it is different from any rod on the market that I have cast. I suspect some will hate it, others will love it. But, over timeI think people will really like it. It is so different that I think it will take some time. I truly repsect what Sage has been trying to do with the One and the Circa and keep strength in the butt section, but cut down the ciameter of the rod. I do not know if it will result in huge sales, but as a person who loves fly casting I love the effort.

I truly believe that we live in the golden age of fly rods. i have found the Zeniths, Boron IIIX, Ones and Circas to all be fantastic rods. All are really good and pushing some limits.

Yet flycasters of all abilities have a choice of quality rods like never before in the value ranged rods. I find the A4 to be really good for a mid priced rod. There are a bunch of rods in the lower price ranges that are really good casting and fishing rods. The beggining fisherman has more options than we had years ago. The lower end rods are the technological equivilent of our upper end rods twenty years to 25 ago.

Like I said we live in a golden age of fly rods.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Well I was able to cast the Circa last week.

Great post and yes indeed there are a lot of choices. My minor frustration is in the lack of Medium action rods by the high end manufacturers and the subjectivity of medium vs fast. The BIIIX is listed by Winston as a fast action rod yet so many users tout its progressive taper, smooth stoke and up close accuracy as its main attributes. If a rod behaves like a medium action why not call it a medium action rod? Are they afraid it will scare off the distance seekers? I hope the big boys will do what Sage did with the Circa and have the guts to call a rod "slow" if it acts slow and medium if it really is.

A rod I really want to explore is the Winston GVX..another "fast" action rod with "medium" action characteristics that doesn't require a sale of a kidney to afford. There is not much written about the GVX as it sits in the mid-range price point, I guess I will have to cast one at a fly shop.

The WT seems like a wonderful, true medium action rod. But, it is a 3 piece and the rod case will not fit in the overhead bin of a United Canadair Regional jet from Denver to Bozeman (or any other western trout destination) so I have disqualified it as a candidate. The LT 5 piece is again...a "fast" action rod.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
Great post and yes indeed there are a lot of choices. My minor frustration is in the lack of Medium action rods by the high end manufacturers and the subjectivity of medium vs fast. The BIIIX is listed by Winston as a fast action rod yet so many users tout its progressive taper, smooth stoke and up close accuracy as its main attributes. If a rod behaves like a medium action why not call it a medium action rod? Are they afraid it will scare off the distance seekers? I hope the big boys will do what Sage did with the Circa and have the guts to call a rod "slow" if it acts slow and medium if it really is.

A rod I really want to explore is the Winston GVX..another "fast" action rod with "medium" action characteristics that doesn't require a sale of a kidney to afford. There is not much written about the GVX as it sits in the mid-range price point, I guess I will have to cast one at a fly shop.

The WT seems like a wonderful, true medium action rod. But, it is a 3 piece and the rod case will not fit in the overhead bin of a United Canadair Regional jet from Denver to Bozeman (or any other western trout destination) so I have disqualified it as a candidate. The LT 5 piece is again...a "fast" action rod.
Personally, I think Winston has only made 2 fast action rods that I have cast. The LTX and MX. I have not cast the GVX yet, so I cannot comment on them. I personally thing the BIIx and BIIIX are really medium fast rods. I always thought the LT was medium fast rod.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 AM

jmancuso is on a distinguished road

Hey Dave what shop were you able to cast it at?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Fishwest.

I stopped by Fish Tech this morning and they did not have any yet. I know Mickey and Nate didn't like them very much when Van had one or them to cast, but both like faster action rods. I will look at a 489 as possibly my next rod. I need a good hopper dropper rod.

Last edited by utah daveii; 08-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
Personally, I think Winston has only made 2 fast action rods that I have cast. The LTX and MX. I have not cast the GVX yet, so I cannot comment on them. I personally thing the BIIx and BIIIX are really medium fast rods. I always thought the LT was medium fast rod.
Agreed. The LT's cast well, but I'd put their action as slightly slower than a G2. The WT's are soft and mushy IMO.

I thought the LTX was fairly slow as well, compared to the Sage XP and RPLXi it was competing against.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.