The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By vango
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default I got a ZXL today...

I got my Sage ZXL today, 590-4 on closeout, $435 delivered to the door. I would not have paid the list price of nearly $700 for this but given they are discontinued and on sale I decided to go for it. I just came in from lawn casting it. Alas, a rod I can actually "feel load with Rio Gold" (hey that rhymes). What a great addition, super light, and seems very accurate within the 35 ft strike zone. It casts better out farther too than I thought it would. This should work well for dry flies around here and even small nymph rigs. The 5 wt should also give it a bit more flexibility on some of the bigger waters too. I love the medium action of this rod and it seems to fit my casting style better than anything I've tried to date. It feels very similar to the more expensive Winston BIIIX in tempo and feel. Can't wait to get it on the water.

Beautiful rod too, the pomegranate color of the rod and case is cool. Maybe this will be the keeper rod that I never replace.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got a ZXL today...

Enjoy your new rod.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

That's a great rod! Congrats, and enjoy your new purchase.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
This should work well for dry flies around here and even small nymph rigs.
You can absolutely nymph with a ZXL 590. You can throw streamers as well although The ZXL would not be my choice for pounding large streamers all day long. Point is, this rod is very versitle.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I got one of those as part of the TU life membership a few years ago. Very nice rod. Great trout rod.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM

vango is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a used Sage ZXL tonight. Factory demonstrator and it looks absolutely brand new. Beautiful rod. It is 486-4. I think that it will be perfect for the Driftless area and Colorado as long as i learn how to use it?! Patience and practice. Thanks for all of your sharing and i am happy that you like your new rod..the simple pleasures in life keep us going. Dan
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vango View Post
I just purchased a used Sage ZXL tonight. Factory demonstrator and it looks absolutely brand new. Beautiful rod. It is 486-4. I think that it will be perfect for the Driftless area and Colorado as long as i learn how to use it?! Patience and practice. Thanks for all of your sharing and i am happy that you like your new rod..the simple pleasures in life keep us going. Dan
Can't speak to Colorado but you got a perfect Driftless rod. Ask Chi flyfisher what he thinks about his Nobody could get him to part with it.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
I got my Sage ZXL today, 590-4 on closeout, $435 delivered to the door. I would not have paid the list price of nearly $700 for this but given they are discontinued and on sale I decided to go for it. I just came in from lawn casting it. Alas, a rod I can actually "feel load with Rio Gold" (hey that rhymes). What a great addition, super light, and seems very accurate within the 35 ft strike zone. It casts better out farther too than I thought it would. This should work well for dry flies around here and even small nymph rigs. The 5 wt should also give it a bit more flexibility on some of the bigger waters too. I love the medium action of this rod and it seems to fit my casting style better than anything I've tried to date. It feels very similar to the more expensive Winston BIIIX in tempo and feel. Can't wait to get it on the water.

Beautiful rod too, the pomegranate color of the rod and case is cool. Maybe this will be the keeper rod that I never replace.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the rod? My dad just broke his custom SP, and feels it was a sign that he should get a new rod (as if a 78-yr-old man who's been fly fishing for over 65 yrs. needs an excuse to treat himself to a new stick). I've cast one of these before, and I think it would be great for him... And after buying custom for awhile he refuses to pay retail (and won't buy used on ebay or get on here like I will)

Thanks!