The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Rod Prices (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/2939-rod-prices.html)

skey000 12-30-2007 07:42 PM

Rod Prices

Okay so I've figured out what the numbers to the rods, reels, and lines mean. I step into the fly shop and take a look around. First thing I notice after finding the right size rod is the price tag.I n some cases a rod costs more than 5 times the price of a combo set.

Something has to be wrong.

My question is with such a wide span in prices anywhere from $30 to $1,000 (possibly more) what is the difference?

What makes one 9 foot 5 weight worth so much more than another?

What price can a beginner expect to pay on a decent starter rod without sacrificing performance?

Thank you
Jeremy

tightlines57 12-30-2007 08:23 PM

Re: Rod Prices

This question comes up all the time. Remember, you get what you pay for. If you buy one of the $30 rod sets, that is what you will get. Everyone on the forum will have a different opinion. Personally, I like rods in the $150 - $200 range. You will get a good quality rod with a lifetime warranty. Yes, you can spend $600 or more for a rod and you will get an awesome rod, but that is not what I am in it for. If I was a pro, or did it for a living, I would probably spend the $$$ for a top quality rod.

Don't forget you need a reel, line, and all the other fun toys. :army:

trout champ 12-31-2007 12:41 AM

You definatley get what you pay for. There are some awsome rods out there that cost anywhere from $100 to $1000. Brands like Sage and Winston are expensive, but well worth it. I really love my Sage rod. I had to reach a little deeper in my pocket, but I use it more and take care of it better because it's more expensive.

But if you're just starting out, I'd go with Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO's) they are awsome to cast, very affordable and just awsome rods. The TFO NXT's come with everying but flies and tippet so you can get going right away. When I priced them I think they were $175, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Anways, good luck and have fun.

Randy

randyflycaster 12-31-2007 08:52 AM

In my opinion, fly-rod technology has improved so much that fly rods in the mid-price range perfom extremely well.

I have many top-of-the-line rods. This summer I lost one on a subway. I was crushed. Short of cash, I replaced it with a $300.00 dollar rod, which I soon fell in love with.

Two things though: Premium rods hold their resale value better, until the next generation comes out; and premium rods look better. I cast a great $200.00 rod, but to me the rod looked cheap so I didn't buy it. In the end, I still like a fly rod that looks good.

Randy Kadish

Frank Whiton 12-31-2007 10:01 AM

Hi Jeremy,

Buying your first rod is always a difficult event. It seems you are right on track that you don't want to sacrifice performance for the sake of saving some money. Many first timers buy a very cheap rod and in no time they are moving up to a better casting rod. There are two basic sources of rods available today, US built or over seas built. Many of the very cheap rods are made in China and sometimes better quality rods are made in Korea. The best companies overseas are associated with American individuals who can design rods or know what a good rod is all about. I don't recommend any rods that cost less than $100. The $130 to $200 offers some very good rods that cast well and have good components.

If you think that fly fishing is going to be your hobby then the more you spend the more you will appreciate the rod later on. There are some fly fishers that don't want to spend or can't spend a lot of money on fly rods. There is nothing wrong with that. Some of us, thats includes me, don't want to buy over seas rods. We prefer the American made rods and are willing to spend the extra money to get one. Sage, Scott and St Croix are companies that make all of their rods here in the US. These companies offer rods that are well made, they use good components and use the latest construction materials and design. This rods run $200 to $400 dollars. The next step up is the $400 to $800 rods. In this group you will find the very best materials, the best guides, the best cork and they cast great. In the $400 to $800 range you will find any style of rod you may consider. There are slow action, mid-action and fast-action rods for different applications.

As a beginner you can consider brand rods from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. Your best overseas rod in my opinion, considering money, is the TFO Professional or Signature series. These will be overseas rods. If you want a US rod then consider the Sage FLi or Sage Launch. The Scott A2, the St Croix Reign or the St Croix Avid.

Your very best way to choose a rod is to cast each rod to see how it feels to you. Many fly shops have try rods. You local fly shop is a great source of information. The first thing you need to do is pick a price range that you are comfortable with and go from there.

Frank

Jakeway 12-31-2007 10:16 AM

The line is very important. I'd rather have a $50 line with a $50 rod than a $100 rod and a $20 line. The better lines float higher and cast much easier than cheap lines, and a beginner needs all the help he can get. I like the Cortland 555 Dyna Tip, but there are other great lines out there.

Stay away from the WalMart rods, but you can get pretty decent rods at Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc. in the $50 to $80 range if youre on an extremely short budget. (Of course, you can get these same rods on eBAy for half that.) Don't get any with foam handles or with rod blanks you can't see the fibre wraps in (unless it's a high-cost rod with a matte finish).

You probably don't need more than $30 for a click and pawl or cheap disc drag reel to sart out.

bonefish41 12-31-2007 06:44 PM

how much can you spend? 100 200 300? look used...last years model what are you fishing for??

steely 01-06-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trout champ (Post 17640)
You definatley get what you pay for.

Randy

I 1) can cast my tfo axiom 5 weight over 75 feet (not that this is something to brag about, many here can cast a 5 weight 100 -125 feet, just saying I am not a beginner)
2) own a $250 tfo 5 weight and a over $600 6 weight z axis. So obviously the $600 rod casts farther? NOPE. Well obviously it is more of a joy to cast? NOPE. I so strongly object to what you say.:(
3) I obviously like TFO's. But again I have to say I strongly object to you saying he should get a <insert model>. :(
4) why are rod prices so divergent? Why are some purses $50 and others $4000? If the $4000 purse had the name brand of the $50 purse do you think it would cost $4000? Uh huh.

The biggest factor in prices is not brand tho, but labor. Rods made using good ol US rod makers cost a heck of a lot more than those using Chinese labor.

I know EXACTLY WHICH ROD YOU SHOULD BUY :icon_excl
The rod (after you have taken some casting lessons so you can cast and saviour the fine wines of rods) that you like best at the price you want to pay. I like a tfo axiom. It is a fast action rod, kind of like a Sage XP or Z axis. What if you like vanilla instead of chocolate, ie, what if you like a slow rod instead of a fast rod? The rod for you may be fiber winston slower action rod!! Once you learn to cast, try out a couple of winstons, some Sages, some Scotts, Cortland has some good medium action to fast rods too!! At the denver show I was astonished to cast a $225 big sky that didnt cast that differently than a sage:icon_excl :icon_excl

What one rod should you buy? Sorry, cant tell you, it would be like telling you what ice cream flavor to buy :tongue:
That is for you to decide

jimw 01-06-2008 03:35 AM

Don't forget warranty and customer service. sometimes you will pay more for an unconditional 25 yr warranty but when you drop your rod and break the tip off and are able to get it replaced no questions asked is awesome. alot of company charge 25 or 40 dollars to cover shipping and handling but it is well worth it. I started with a very low end rod and reel and with in 6 months upgraded to a lot better rod and reel. If you really love fly fishing i would spend the extra money and get something you like and wont want to replaced in 6 months. If you can test cast before you buy is a great help go to some fly fishing shows this winter and see whats out there.

Jim

steely 01-06-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimw (Post 18059)
Don't forget warranty and customer service. sometimes you will pay more for an unconditional 25 yr warranty but when you drop your rod and break the tip off and are able to get it replaced no questions asked is awesome. alot of company charge 25 or 40 dollars to cover shipping and handling but it is well worth it. I started with a very low end rod and reel and with in 6 months upgraded to a lot better rod and reel. If you really love fly fishing i would spend the extra money and get something you like and wont want to replaced in 6 months. If you can test cast before you buy is a great help go to some fly fishing shows this winter and see whats out there.

Jim

Yes, definitely get something that has a lifetime warranty. THeir is no excuse now not to. Which brings me back to my favorite company, if it isnt ingrained in your minds from my above post you will just have to scroll up
1) lifetime warranty life everyone else.
2) turn around time! about 2 days. I broke my sage, took them a month to rebuild the thing, plus the time to get it to their own little island, and shipped off their own little island, about 6 weeks. Compared to about 1 week turnaround for my $250 rod that casts like a $600 (axiom..OOPS, a hint)
3) I have had a 10 weight before and wanted a 7 weight before, sent in the 10 weight with my $25 and said "can you please send me a 7 weight instead". No problem says they! Sage costs you $40, and stay AWAY FROM POWELL, they charge $60 even tho they use korean rods like TFO.
4) $25 is REALLY JUST FOR SHIPPING AND HANDLING. Bring your broken rod into *** headquarters in Texas, they will go to the warehouse and get you a brand new one free of charge. Do you think Sage does that? HECK NO!!
5) Runner up for warranty is gloomis with expeditor program. For $50 they will send you a brand new rod ups. Figure it is going to cost you at least $10 to send the rod back, plus hassle of getting to shipping location, so that is really $40 and you get a new rod in 2-3 days. You put your broken rod in package and ups takes it away!

FOR WARRANTY, NOBODY, NOBODY, :icon_excl :icon_excl :icon_excl :icon_excl
beats TFO!!! G loomis comes in a close second with their expeditor program tho.

Tfo rods run from moderate action 2 piece at $89, to $200 -$250 fast action Sage casting quality TICR/TICR X and Axiom. ANd for $350 they have the $350 deer creek series which was created by mike kinney and bob meiser, and is basically a meiser MKS blank. I am a intermediate spey caster and I could not cast better with a sage z axis than this tfo. The only rod I could tell a difference in was a high end CND rod which cast a bit nicer/farther

Echo and Cortland also have rods that are super sweet, lifetime warranty, and wont break your bank. If you are worried about price DONT DONT DONT get a low priced sage, get a cortland (NOT A WALMART, try the big sky), a echo, or a TFO
:frogdance