The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/293984-anyone-cast-scott-s4-winston-boron-iiix-sage-one.html)

missin44 08-15-2012 11:51 AM

Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
I'm thinking of reducing my inventory to just a couple rods. The one rod I'm keeping is my Scott G904/4, I've had it for years and love it. With the liquidation of some of my other rods I'll be using the coin for a new faster action wind/boat/trout/smallmouth/bigger water rod in a 5 or 6wt. I'm looking at the Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX and Sage One, I plan to try and cast all 3, yet hope folks here can give me a little of their insight on what I might expect to find.

I saw the Yellowstone Angler reviews for 2011 5wt, but find their results a bit questionable since they are a dealer. Regardless, I'm not looking for a "which is the best rod", just an idea of what you found in casting these rods.

Thanks
Tight Lines

BigCliff 08-15-2012 02:06 PM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
The One is remarkably easy to cast, while still having lots of zip.

Another that fits that description is the recently discontinued Scott X2s. That's the easiest casting "saltwater rod" I know of, and they can now be found for about $300. My home shop has a 5wt in the clearance bin that I find very tempting...

mike63 08-15-2012 09:35 PM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
I think for the uses you are describing the Sage One is a good choice, especially if you are an experienced caster. I have the One in a 9ft 5wt and found the Yellowstone Angler guys to be pretty accurate in its description. They reviewed it seperately after the Shootout test. It is a fast rod and pretty stiff. I have a Sage XZL that I just bought and I find it easier to cast up close.

I think the One would be great in a 6 wt. The One has a sweet spot in the casting stroke, find that and it is great. I relined my One with Rio Grand and find that I can cast it much easier. It is a wind cheater...here in Colorado we have lots of wind and it will chuck nymph rigs in the wind very well, and streamers too. Delicate dry flies up close? OK but not award winning, certainly no better than much less expensive rods.

utah daveii 08-15-2012 10:41 PM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
I have a 590 one and love it. It takes a little getting used to when throwing nymph rigs. What I mean is that I had to open up my stroke. It is a really good rod. Although the rod took second or thrid in the yellowstone shootout. I also felt the comments were spot on.

I have also cast the Hardy zenith 590, and 486. Both are absolutely fantastic rods. I love both rods. I have cast these rods numerous times and under numerous conditions.

I have also cast the BIIIX in 480,486,590nand they are also fantastic rods. I feel both the one and the zenith are are slightly better, but this is a very, very good rod.

I have only cast the scott one time, so I think I may not be able to talk fairly about it.

gjcordray 08-20-2012 07:14 PM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
I own an S4 five weight and have fished (not just cast) the Sage One five weight. I have only cast the Winston in the parking lot of a fly shop.

A very good friend of mine works at Yellowstone Angler, and he admits they are nuts for Hardy and have some kind of war going on with Scott. That being said, he owns both and fishes both. And, the descriptions are fairly accurate. Remember, these guys fish the Yellowstone and love to throw dry flies and big streamers, so I think their five weight reviews had more to do with pure casting and feel, how the rod would pitch a double dry rig from a drift boat, than how it would perform in other fishing situations.

The S4 is a substantially faster/stiffer rod than the Sage from my own experience. I found the Scott S4 is a better large water nymph stick, especially if you go deep with a couple BB splits and/or heavily weighted flies. It is also a little better in the wind, but that might be because I overweight the line with a Rio Gold 6. It has a very soft tip, though, when fighting fish. Like most Scott rods, it is a specialty stick, meant for a narrow window of applications. It sucks at fishing dries within 30 feet just like the Yellowstone boys say it is.

The Sage One is a far better all around rod. While it might not have the overall backbone of the S4, it is very adept in most nymphing situations and far superior as a dry fly rod. It is adequate in the wind. When fighting fish, it is exceptional. I love the full wells style grip. Don't know why all rods don't have one. The rod has more "soul" than most Sage rods IMO. However, it still feels a little too polished for my tastes. But if you gave me one, I would grin every time I fished it.

Boron IIIX felt like a Winston - tremendous feel and very lively in the hand. It felt like a exceptional dry fly rod.

mcnerney 08-20-2012 08:50 PM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjcordray (Post 478398)
I own an S4 five weight and have fished (not just cast) the Sage One five weight. I have only cast the Winston in the parking lot of a fly shop.

A very good friend of mine works at Yellowstone Angler, and he admits they are nuts for Hardy and have some kind of war going on with Scott. That being said, he owns both and fishes both. And, the descriptions are fairly accurate. Remember, these guys fish the Yellowstone and love to throw dry flies and big streamers, so I think their five weight reviews had more to do with pure casting and feel, how the rod would pitch a double dry rig from a drift boat, than how it would perform in other fishing situations.

The S4 is a substantially faster/stiffer rod than the Sage from my own experience. I found the Scott S4 is a better large water nymph stick, especially if you go deep with a couple BB splits and/or heavily weighted flies. It is also a little better in the wind, but that might be because I overweight the line with a Rio Gold 6. It has a very soft tip, though, when fighting fish. Like most Scott rods, it is a specialty stick, meant for a narrow window of applications. It sucks at fishing dries within 30 feet just like the Yellowstone boys say it is.

The Sage One is a far better all around rod. While it might not have the overall backbone of the S4, it is very adept in most nymphing situations and far superior as a dry fly rod. It is adequate in the wind. When fighting fish, it is exceptional. I love the full wells style grip. Don't know why all rods don't have one. The rod has more "soul" than most Sage rods IMO. However, it still feels a little too polished for my tastes. But if you gave me one, I would grin every time I fished it.

Boron IIIX felt like a Winston - tremendous feel and very lively in the hand. It felt like a exceptional dry fly rod.

I have a Sage One in a 5 wt and a Scott S4 8 wt and feel that gjcordray is spot on with his review. Love both rods by the way but use them for very different applications.

mike63 08-20-2012 10:50 PM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjcordray (Post 478398)
A very good friend of mine works at Yellowstone Angler, and he admits they are nuts for Hardy and have some kind of war going on with Scott. That being said, he owns both and fishes both. And, the descriptions are fairly accurate. Remember, these guys fish the Yellowstone and love to throw dry flies and big streamers, so I think their five weight reviews had more to do with pure casting and feel, how the rod would pitch a double dry rig from a drift boat, than how it would perform in other fishing situations.

Love it or hate it, the Yellowstone Review is really the only one of it's kind on the net and has created a quite a stir. They are probably responsible for selling lots of Hardy Zenith rods nationwide. I noticed they backpeddled a bit on the Sage One vs Z-Axis debate with the statement: "In our shootout, we rated the Z-Axis a 20 at both 45 and 70 feet. It did produce an impressive performance, but we think the new ONE is slightly better, and will make a worthy successor to the Z-Axis line of rods."

Probably had to plus up the One since it's pretty hard to buy a Z-Axis now at the Yellowstone Angler. I like what Red's Fly Shop over in Oregon did...let 65 customers cast the rods and rated them on customer scores.

mcnerney 08-21-2012 05:51 AM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike63 (Post 478441)
Love it or hate it, the Yellowstone Review is really the only one of it's kind on the net and has created a quite a stir. They are probably responsible for selling lots of Hardy Zenith rods nationwide. I noticed they backpeddled a bit on the Sage One vs Z-Axis debate with the statement: "In our shootout, we rated the Z-Axis a 20 at both 45 and 70 feet. It did produce an impressive performance, but we think the new ONE is slightly better, and will make a worthy successor to the Z-Axis line of rods."

Probably had to plus up the One since it's pretty hard to buy a Z-Axis now at the Yellowstone Angler. I like what Red's Fly Shop over in Oregon did...let 65 customers cast the rods and rated them on customer scores.

Mike: I'm sure a lot of us would like to read the results, did Red's publish the results of the customers casting?

gjcordray 08-21-2012 08:36 PM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike63 (Post 478441)
Love it or hate it, the Yellowstone Review is really the only one of it's kind on the net and has created a quite a stir. They are probably responsible for selling lots of Hardy Zenith rods nationwide. I noticed they backpeddled a bit on the Sage One vs Z-Axis debate with the statement: "In our shootout, we rated the Z-Axis a 20 at both 45 and 70 feet. It did produce an impressive performance, but we think the new ONE is slightly better, and will make a worthy successor to the Z-Axis line of rods."

Probably had to plus up the One since it's pretty hard to buy a Z-Axis now at the Yellowstone Angler. I like what Red's Fly Shop over in Oregon did...let 65 customers cast the rods and rated them on customer scores.

I actually do love it. You are absolutely right. This shootout is one of the few (if not only) direct comparisons of its kind. Especially considering how many different manufacturers they tried.

But I also like what Reds did with their customers giving the ratings. Too bad they didn't review more rods, unless I missed something in what I saw and read about their results. Makes for interesting reading and arguments amongst those who are brand loyal.

mike63 08-21-2012 10:07 PM

Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 478475)
Mike: I'm sure a lot of us would like to read the results, did Red's publish the results of the customers casting?

Here is the link folks:

Sage ONE Wins the Red's Fly Shop 5 Weight Fly Rod Shootout | Red's Fly Shop

The Sage One took 1st place but only by a hair over the BIIIx. Four rods seemed to attract people the most: Sage One, Winston BIIIX, Winston GVX and the Sage VXP.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.