The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Question About Cork Handles (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/294155-question-about-cork-handles.html)

noreaster 08-17-2012 08:56 AM

Question About Cork Handles

Just wondering if cork handles have to be moisturized or conditioned, say like leather boots? Are there any quick home fixes? Or do you not touch it and let it season and cure over time?

williamhj 08-17-2012 10:41 AM

Re: Question About Cork Handles

I use u40 cork sealer on mine. Darkens it a touch but I like it. Others don't do anything and like to let it weather through use. It's personal preference.

noreaster 08-17-2012 11:00 AM

I wonder if a little boiled linseed oil would help keep the cork from over drying?

wt bash 08-17-2012 11:32 AM

Don't believe I've ever heard of cork over drying, there alot of 60+ year old rods out there still in use. Just fish it. Like Wlliamhj said there are treatments and theres a cloth that cleans it up but having the cork dry out shouldn't be a concern.

pete a 08-17-2012 11:38 AM

I second the U40 cork sealer. You can buy this in package with Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler "Golden Oak" to either improve new but not so perfect cork handles. Or make an old handle look great.

This is from "Mudhole Rod supplies" for not much.

Pete A.

Rip Tide 08-17-2012 11:59 AM

I use fish slime :thmbup:

s fontinalis 08-17-2012 12:04 PM

a little off topic here, but your question reminded me of this.

Hardyreels 08-17-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreaster (Post 477761)
Just wondering if cork handles have to be moisturized or conditioned, say like leather boots? Are there any quick home fixes? Or do you not touch it and let it season and cure over time?

As has been mentioned, this can come down to personal choice. I have a rod soon to be in use for 33 years. Over all those years I may have cleaned up the cork half a dozen times just to be a nice guy. Cleaning is quite simple even on a grip like I have described, warm tap water and some dish washing soap will do a dandy job of it. While I understand the desire to keep a rod looking like it is still worth what was paid, it is not a matter for great concern if the grip becomes soiled from use. Like Rip Tide I prefer fish slime as a conditioner when it is available :)

Ard

nefarious_1_ 08-17-2012 03:25 PM

Something about an old, dirty, dried out cork handle is incredibly appealing to me...

silver creek 08-17-2012 04:51 PM

I leave my cork grips alone. The only time I clean a cork grip is when I sell the rod. Clean cork brings a higher price.

Melamine foam sponge (Mr Clean Magic Eraser) with water does a good job. If that does not remove all the dirt, finish stain removal with Soft Scrub with Bleach and a toothbrush.