The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   ?Anyone know about March Brown Ltd. Fly Rod? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/294176-anyone-know-about-march-brown-ltd-fly-rod.html)

dean_mt 08-17-2012 01:00 PM

?Anyone know about March Brown Ltd. Fly Rod?

I am curious if anyone has or knows much about the March Brown Ltd. rods. There is a sale on one of those daily discount websites I frequent (but shouldn't) for the Diplomat rod. They are 10', 8 piece rods. They break down to like 16".

The few reviews I've found are positive, but nothing about the action or weight of the rod. Seems kind of like a novelty. But a 10' 3wt would be a nice Euro nymphing rig.

moucheur2003 08-18-2012 10:03 PM

Re: ?Anyone know about March Brown Ltd. Fly Rod?

I have a 9' 8 wt 6 piece March Brown Legacy rod that is really too heavy and stiff for an 8 but is much better as a 9. Don't know about the Diplomat series compared to the Legacy, or how the lighter line sizes feel, but I imagine all the extra ferrules in any multi-piece rod will at least add some weight. I have a 6 piece 6 weight TFO and a 7 piece 5 weight Orvis, and both of those are a bit unbalanced because of the extra weight in the ferrules. That's not necessarily a disastrous thing, but it is a disadvantage that you have to compare with the advantage of the extra compactness and portability.

daved 12-05-2016 06:24 AM

I have just bought a 9' legacy 6 piece rod of Ebay (be my first rod)
Ive not picked it up yet but can anyone tell me if they are any good for say reservoir fishing or have I made a mistake?
It seemed just too good a deal not to buy it !!!!

moucheur2003 12-05-2016 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daved (Post 859146)
Ive not picked it up yet but can anyone tell me if they are any good for say reservoir fishing or have I made a mistake?

Don't know what line weight yours is, but if it's like mine you may need to use a heavier line to get the right responsiveness out of the blank. You might also want to pick a heavy reel to get the right balance in your hand.

mridenour 12-05-2016 06:30 AM

Quote:

Depends on the reservoir and what you are catching but, yeah, it should work for you.

sweetandsalt 12-05-2016 08:15 AM

Unless the diminutive packing size is seriously important to you, all those ferrules are going to negatively impact the action of the rod. Lots of double walled dead space. But, no, I have no familiarity with this rod brand.

dean_mt 12-05-2016 10:48 AM

That original post is 4+ years old! And I never bought one of these rods.

sweetandsalt 12-05-2016 03:22 PM

Well, I'm kinda pleased you didn't. Not very observant of us is it?

throssing 12-05-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

I had a 3 piece 9'6" 8 wt Perfection Series rod from March Brown. I used it primarily for pike. It was very plain in its appearance, but I liked the way it cast. I would characterize its action as medium-fast. I lined it with an 8 wt GPX line and was very pleased with the combination.

When I looked into the many piece March Brown rods, there was some concern that they broke easily. There is, however, a no-questions-asked warranty, so that should make up for this potential flaw.