The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all
Default ZXL 6wt - Seeking input, opinion

I am looking for 'in-use' experiences with the 9' 6wt ZXL. How does it handle wind & does it have the ability to cast appropriately sized streamers? I am assuming that it will be fine for dry flies and also for nymphing.

Sorry about all the questions, but a buddy is offering his 6wt ZXL at a good price & I have cast it in the parking lot and it is super smooth.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ZXL 6wt - Seeking input, opinion

I have never tried the ZXL in a 6 wt. The 6 wt was the biggest size Sage made in the ZXL. It was designed purely as a freshwater rod using the same G5 technology as the Z-Axis but with true medium action and best suited for dries. It was just replaced by the slow action Circa dry fly rod. But, several folks here claim it works well for nymphing, large dries and streamers, even in a 4 weight. 4 wt seems to be the most popular size in the ZXL. I have cast my new 5 weight at the local "practice pond" and feel it will have no trouble with most types of applications but it's close and medium accuracy is the strong suit. I would bet the 6 wt would be a nice all around, very versatile rod if you like the medium action.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I have not cast one, but I did cast the ZXL 4 and 5 weights a couple of years ago and liked them better than the Z Axis. I could cast them just as far as the Z Axis, but I thought they had a more sensitive "feel".

I was at a trade show last winter and was looking around for a 9' 6 weight. I didn't want one that could toss a whole fly line, but one that would be a versatile all-around trout rod in most situations -- dries, wets, nymphs, streamers, sink tips. My 4's and 5's couldn't handle the streamers and sink tips as well as I wanted. I talked to several manufacturer's reps about several brands. The Sage guy got all rhapsodic about the ZXL 6 weight, saying it was the "sweet spot" in the whole ZXL series for a do-anything rod. Just my luck, he didn't have a demo 6 in his bag so I never got to try it. (Eventually I bought an Orvis Hydros on closeout instead because the price was so good. If I had known they were going to close out the ZXL too I might have waited.)

Last edited by moucheur2003; 08-24-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Well, I use the 486-4 ZXL as one of my general trout rods (dries, smaller nymphs, double fly rigs etc) & love everything about it. It is a tad faster than my Scott G2 4wt but has similar level of sensitivity.

Moucheur, you must have met the same SAGE rep that I spoke to on the phone. He also was very complimentary of the 6wt ZXL. Anyhow, I thought about it and ended up buying the ZXL 6wt in the end.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:19 PM

coug will become famous soon enough

I think you will really enjoy the 6wt. I had a 5wt as part of the TU lifetime membership drive. It was a sweet rod, I much prefer that action to the very fast that is so common now. I later built a 5wt z-axis and it is really a toss-up for me which one I preferred. I tended to use the ZXL when I knew I was fishing only dries, and the Z if I thought I would be throwing nymphs or streamers. That being said, the ZXL did not have the slightest problem throwing heavier flies. A very nice rod.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I took my 5 wt out on the Arkansas River yesterday, it was really my first outing with it. I had no trouble casting big attractors with a dropper and streamers too. The ZXL isn't as beefy as other Sage rods but what it lacks in heft it makes up for in finesse. I was able to cast this rod further than I thought and the accuracy with dries was equally as impressive. The ZXL is my new favorite. I think the 6 wt will be a great rod for you.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

This would be a great streamer rod. Good backbone with some good feel.