The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage Circa?

Thanks utah dave, that is a good review and better with your added info about the reviewer. Like I said above I have a couple of Sage's past moderate action rods and I love them. I have a slow casting stroke and though it is supposed to be easier to cast "faster" i.e. stiffer rods, I have a terrible time with them. I haven't been interested or excited about a new release fly rod in awhile because they are always fast rods, but this one has caught my attention. I can't wait to see how it feels compared to my SLT.

I also trust the owner of the shop I go to. Last year he told me to buy a $75 TFO blank over any of the new, fast Sage blanks because he felt it was a nicer rod to cast. Point being he doesn't try to sell me the most expensive, shiny, new stuff.

I'll reserve judgement till I cast it, but if I do like it my conundrum will be which one. The 8-9-5wt sounds perfect but I'd hate to closet my 9-0-4wt ... I just can't do that. Hmmm...a trip to my fly shop is in the near future.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Thanks utah dave, that is a good review and better with your added info about the reviewer. Like I said above I have a couple of Sage's past moderate action rods and I love them. I have a slow casting stroke and though it is supposed to be easier to cast "faster" i.e. stiffer rods, I have a terrible time with them. I haven't been interested or excited about a new release fly rod in awhile because they are always fast rods, but this one has caught my attention. I can't wait to see how it feels compared to my SLT.

I also trust the owner of the shop I go to. Last year he told me to buy a $75 TFO blank over any of the new, fast Sage blanks because he felt it was a nicer rod to cast. Point being he doesn't try to sell me the most expensive, shiny, new stuff.
Dean Mt,
Your first paragraph got me thinking, Every year I teach a fly casting class at the Wasatch expo it is a lot of fun. Well, the local Winston rep is always there and when I went to teach the class he was shocked that I was still fishing an SP. I do a lot of competition casting at these shows and they are usully done with high end fast rods. It is funny but I primarily do about 80 to 90% of my fishing with my two SP and my 383 SLT.

I ended up winning a sage One this year and I love that rod a lot, but i have only fished it about 4 times since buying it, although I really like how it fishes. I am mostly a small stream guy, so fishing bigger rivers is not what I do most.

I am not a TFO fan mostly because I hate IM6 graphite rods and that is primarily the graphite used in TFO rods, but if you like a slower action IM6 is a good graphite to have so it might fit your casting style.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
I am not a TFO fan mostly because I hate IM6 graphite rods and that is primarily the graphite used in TFO rods, but if you like a slower action IM6 is a good graphite to have so it might fit your casting style.
Picking a rod based on what graphite is used for it is like deciding your favorite bread based on what flour they used.

There's a whole lot more to it than that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

True, but I know exactly what I hate on that graphite and I have cast a lot of rods made from IM6 graphite. I have never been in love with any of them. In order to give the rod some backbone, they need to add too much mass to the butt section. The butt section becomes kind of clunky.

Since we are talking about TFO's It is also not like TFO is known for their cutting edge resin or scrim technology either. They do have good tapers, though.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I built the TFO for my brother who is a novice fly fisherman that gets out on a few outings a year. So he didn't need anything special or fancy, just a decent casting rod and I liked the feel of the TFO Pro.

I didn't mean to veer the discussion away from Circa and to TFO. I'm sure there is no comparison.
utah daveii likes this.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Dean MT.

I was responding to Cliff's comment about not choosing a rod based on the graphite used not on your TFO comment. TFO's have a following and if you are a person who likes IM6 graphite they are great rods for the price.

What I think that cliff was alluding too is that tapers, resin, scrim ferrule design all impact castability of a rod. He is actually totally correct. There was also a time when the faster rods made with better graphite snapped a little more because the scrims and the resins were not as good.

I just have a very specific issue with IM6 graphite and how it works. It is most likely that my first graphite rod was a faster action rod. So when I went to an IM6 rod I hated it. That being said Wisnton was built around IM6 graphite. WT, LT, LTX and other rods were all that graphite. Some people love it and will cat nothing else. I just, do not happen to be one of them.

My coments were not meant to be to you, but to cliff and quite frankly cliff is correct. I just wanted him to know I have already considered those issues when forming my opinion.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road

I had a chance to test it at IFTD. Really cool rod. I also totally agree with utah daveii on this one.

It will likely be a top contender for dry fly rods along with the Hardy Zenith, B3x and Scott G2

You can check out our review:
Sage Circa Review
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dean MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
My coments were not meant to be to you, but to cliff and quite frankly cliff is correct. I just wanted him to know I have already considered those issues when forming my opinion.
Thanks!

Please know that I wasn't trying to make you look bad. I just feel the need to chime in and get the whole story out there.

You actually helped do exactly that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

For the folks that cast the 489...

Did you get the impression that it was strictly a dry fly rod? Or would you be able to cast small to medium hoppers, hopper-dropper, and dry-dropper setups? I'm real curious as to how much "versatility" that weight and length has.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
For the folks that cast the 489...

Did you get the impression that it was strictly a dry fly rod? Or would you be able to cast small to medium hoppers, hopper-dropper, and dry-dropper setups? I'm real curious as to how much "versatility" that weight and length has.
I haven't cast one yet, but a 4 wt is more than capable casting everything you mention and more. I fish double nymph rigs, weighted streamers...whatever with my 4 wt.