The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Circa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
For the folks that cast the 489...

Did you get the impression that it was strictly a dry fly rod? Or would you be able to cast small to medium hoppers, hopper-dropper, and dry-dropper setups? I'm real curious as to how much "versatility" that weight and length has.
Arent't hoppers a dry fly? I would say this rod is more than capable of casting hoppers and hopper droppers. Otherwise I would not fish a 4 wt. I have a 383 SLT for dry fly only work. With the exception i even throw hopper droppers with that in a pinch.

Despite being a full flex rod, the Circa rod generates plenty of line speed. Now i am not sure it is the tool for fishing big ugly's like Black Rubber legs on full blown indicator rigs, but it should fish dry droppers just fine.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
Arent't hoppers a dry fly?
Well played sir, well played. Left the "bigger" out while trying to post and watch football at the same time.

I too fish the SLT 383 and love that rod for dry fly work and small mountain streams. I'm hoping the 489 Circa is the rod for when the 383 just ain't enough, but the 590 is too much.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Well played sir, well played. Left the "bigger" out while trying to post and watch football at the same time.

I too fish the SLT 383 and love that rod for dry fly work and small mountain streams. I'm hoping the 489 Circa is the rod for when the 383 just ain't enough, but the 590 is too much.
Exactly the same thing I am looking for a Circa to do.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I have a 282 SLT which is strictly a dry fly rod! I use my 490 SPL for everything else, as I said. It is perfectly capable of chucking double-bead indicator rigs ... once you get the hang of it. Is it ideal? Hell no, I don't use it if I know that is all I'll be fishing all day.

I am hoping the 383 will be a compromise between the 2wt SLT and 4wt SPL, frankly the 2wt is a very limiting rod. I want something to fish smaller streams that will cast big dries and a single weighted nymph if needed.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Sounds like we all have a hole in our quiver for a 489 Circa
Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 AM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
Arent't hoppers a dry fly? I would say this rod is more than capable of casting hoppers and hopper droppers. Otherwise I would not fish a 4 wt. I have a 383 SLT for dry fly only work. With the exception i even throw hopper droppers with that in a pinch.

Despite being a full flex rod, the Circa rod generates plenty of line speed. Now i am not sure it is the tool for fishing big ugly's like Black Rubber legs on full blown indicator rigs, but it should fish dry droppers just fine.
Personally I've never felt a huge relationship between fly size/weight and the line rating of a rod. It makes more sense to match the line you are throwing to the flies you need to use. Then match the rod you use to that line based on the distance and delicacy required. I'm curious as to how the Circa feels over/underlined.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
It makes more sense to match the line you are throwing to the flies you need to use.
i like to fish rods that are true to their line wt. So that is one and the same to me. i very, very rarely upline a rod. PErsonally, i think the Circa is extremely true to it's line wt. For example, I would not pair it with a RIO grande.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

OK so I wiggled a 379-4 Circa today at my local wallet burglar (fly shop).To make matter worse my wife gave me the green light to indulge myself. Now I am having that moment of indecision from IBM's buying waves. I am at the will it work phase. Clearly I am well stocked in light weight rods, so will the Circa give me $750.00 worth of value over what I already have.

1WT Elkhorn
370-4 Elkhorn (guest / loaner fly rod)
376-4 ZXL
3710-3 TXL
3710-4 TXL

the ZXL is pure dry fly rod , so this one would be displaced by the Circa in theory.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks to me like you're pretty stacked in the 376-310 range Avs. Unless you're thinking about replacing a loaner rod with a higher end rod, rod collecting or going to relegate one of those to a backup for yourself, you will be duplicating what you already have. That's not to say the Circa is unworthy of owning or will perform different than what you have already but this looks like overlap to me. Why not consider a 4 or 5?

The 589 actually is one I might be interested in checking out for days when the wind picks up and I need to use heavier line weight but don't want to break out the cannon aka Z Axis.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I haven't got to play with the Circa (yet) but I'm sure it's a great rod like most other rods with the Sage name. I do like the idea of buying from a local shop, but when there is a several hundred dollar difference versus buying online and buying local, I'm going to buy online. With a little looking around and playing the waiting game, you could save hundreds of dollars on the Circa (and most anything really).

Just my 2 cents....

-Chase