The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage Circa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Looks to me like you're pretty stacked in the 376-310 range Avs. Unless you're thinking about replacing a loaner rod with a higher end rod, rod collecting or going to relegate one of those to a backup for yourself, you will be duplicating what you already have. That's not to say the Circa is unworthy of owning or will perform different than what you have already but this looks like overlap to me. Why not consider a 4 or 5?

The 589 actually is one I might be interested in checking out for days when the wind picks up and I need to use heavier line weight but don't want to break out the cannon aka Z Axis.

I agree and with being set in the 3wt range. I fear I would end up selling the ZXL which would be a crime. Here is my rationale planned usage of the current line up I have. Mind you I take all of them with me when I go, I just decide what I am going to use when I get there, all these are for small stream stuff.

1WT = absolute blue bird day, not a breath of wind and prime dry fly season
ZXL = little bit of wind, prime dry fly fishing so only plan on throwing a dry
TXL 3WT= planning on fishing dry dropper with little to no wind
TXL 4wt = planning on dry dropper set up but with the wind blowing, or a hopper/copper/dropper rig.

The reason I don't get a 5WT is I had one for 3 seasons and literally never used it once. I have a Z-Axis 4 wt which like you said is a cannon, so it is pretty close to handling the payload a 5wt can anyway, then I have a 6WT which if I plan on throwing streamers it is what I grab.

Moral of the story to me is, buying a Circa relegates the ZXL to Craigslist or one of my buddies grubby paws. Even though I would love a Circa I keep asking myself is it $500 better than a ZXL ( $500 = the 8 I would pay for the Circa minus the 3 I could sell the ZXL for).

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

This season I have done most of my fishing with a Far & Fine, BiiT 486, ZXL 386, Legend Ultra 276 and a Z-Axis 490 for the really windy days. So, when this rod came out it sounded; at least on paper, like my kind of rod. I went with the 479 and have been very impressed so far. Iíve only fished it 3 times but it has done everything I need so far. Fishing from a rod length away to 50í was very accurate. I canít speak to longer distances as that would require a parking lot, not the streams I fish. The largest fly I have used was a #12 tungsten BH and that was no problem. I canít speak to double rigs or weighted indicator rigs as I donít fish them often. The max wind I have fished it in is about 15 mph and again, no problems. The rod generates some really nice line speed. My only gripe so far is the grip; aesthetically I would love to have the cigar grip from the BiiT on this rod. However, when fishing I donít even notice the grip design.

This rod nearly doubles over with a fish on. The biggest so far was a 15Ē rainbow, but even the 10-12Ē fish put a serious bend in the rod. Not that I have had any concerns about lacking power to land the fish just a lot of fun. I found myself wondering why I need the 2 weight. Seems like a rod full of contradictions, fish right off the tip or at 50í accurately, enough guts to handle some wind and play fish with authority, and still be a ton of fun watching it bend double with normal size fish on. Yea, I guess you could say I like it.

Rich
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Rich,

How would you compare the Circa to the BIit 486? I have cast the 489 Circa in the parking lot but haven't had a chance to cast it next to the BIit. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,

Eric
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
Rich,

How would you compare the Circa to the BIit 486? I have cast the 489 Circa in the parking lot but haven't had a chance to cast it next to the BIit. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,

Eric
Eric,
They fish similarly but have a different feel. My vocabulary is going to fail me in trying to convey how they feel differently but I will give it a try. Circa feels lighter and wispy. BiiT while still very light feels a little more substantial and with more "power". I don't know if that is due to the boron in the butt section or comparing a 7'9" rod to an 8'6" rod??? By power I don't mean that a similar configuration BiiT would cast further than the Circa. These rods aren't about distance. Its more that a cast of any distance with the BiiT feels about right for the effort. But the first few casts with the Circa it was more like wow, that really shot out there, further than I thought.

I think the BiiT is a little more forgiving. My personal bugaboo when I get tired is a little wrist hinge on the backstroke. I found I can lose the Circa pretty quickly if I do that when I have very much line out. The BiiT seems to tolerate my sloppy moments better.

It would be hard to choose between them, but I know I'd end up with a great rod either way.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Rich,

Thanks, that helps a lot. I should get a chance to lawn cast the Circa 479, 489, and 486 BIit side-by-side in a couple weeks. If I decide on one (which I need like a hole in the head), I've told myself I'll part with one or two rods from my current quiver. Nothing like self-delusion, huh? Thanks again,

Eric