The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Sage Circa?

Anyone buying the hype? Anyone cast one yet? I've got to admit...even a fast action guy like myself is interested to see what a slow action fast response is like.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Circa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
a slow action fast response.
What materials did they use to get that? Is this something along the lines of Winston's Graphite/Boron? You have peaked my curiousity as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

I have thrown a 389 and the 489. There is a thread on the fly rod section I started when I threw the 3 wt. You can read about it there.

The first thing that you will notice is the how thin the butt section is of the Circa. When I cast the 489, I compared it to a 486 Boron IIIX. The boron felt stiffer and had more mass in the butt section. The Circa is unlike any rod that I have every thrown. It bends deep into the butt section. At the same time, it had no problem booming out casts. The graphite, althoug bendy, still recovers lightening fast. I really like the Circa and it is my goal to own one. It is a fantastic, rod, but different. I am not sure it is a hit, but I am glad that Sage is trying this, and it was a hit with me.
wannafish likes this.

Last edited by utah daveii; 08-25-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm excited to cast one, but doubt I'll own one until I can get some kind of deal on it.

The 379 sounds lovely for small streams.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have yet to even see one. Loving the ONE, I expect Circa to be too deep flexing for my personal style. However, a 7'9"/#4 sounds like a 2013 take on the early 80's Orvis "Far and Fine" (7'9"/#5)...cool, I look forward to casting it. All the rods in Sage's line up will ultimatly be replaced with Konetic Technology versions and this Circa sounds like it will be giving Winston a migrane.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have cast one!!!! My local guy got some in, he's had them for 2 days now, sold one each day. I made the mistake of saying hey why not and casting it on my way out the door and oh my, what a rod. its EXTREMELY easy to cast and is freakishly accurate. Its very light, the feel is excellent. yeah, its awesome, totally worth winning best in show recently here. I compaired it to a one that was sitting next to it in the bush, and the one doesnt even come close to showing/feeling as nice as the Circa.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I cast a 489 today, a very nice rod. I would agree with Utah Daveii's assessment, very easy to cast. I cast it along with a Winston 476 WT and a 476BIIT. My casting style suits the Winston's better, but for anyone in the market for a slower action rod, you should try the Circas
Old 08-26-2012, 07:29 PM

medic77 will become famous soon enough

I got my hands on the circa last week 4wt 8'9 and it was amazing. I have never cast anything with such ease. I want one bad but not at the asking price. I bought the Orvis Superfine touch at a much lower price and a very comparable action. I actually like the look of the Orvis a little better. I will have a circa though.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I love my SLT and SPL and I am definitely curious now to cast the "new" slow action rod. I hope the local shop gets some in, I'm sure they will. If I were so smitten, I'd get a blank for $300 something and build one.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

I have attached Steve Schmidts of Western Rivers review of the Sage Circa. Steve is a real old school guy. I think he still primarily fishes his pre IM6 winston. They all got to fish this rod quite a bit in July months. I probably stopped by three times to cast the 589 and it was always out with the staff.

It is probably not the most unbiased report in the world since they sale the rods, but this shop has always been known as the Winston shop around town (they are also gaining an affinity for Scott Rods as well).

For the record Western Rivers is one of the key fighters in our stream access battle here in utah. Good guys that put a lot of money into conservation.

Sage Circa Rod Review - WR FLY FISHER
dean_mt and cochise like this.