The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2-Piece Sage RPL, 9 wt, And My Concerns

A classic Lamson LP3 would look dandy!
Lamson LP 3 Fly Reel | eBay

They are no longer made(just like the RPL) but they are a great reel overall, and if you happen to have any problems you can have it taken care of @ Archuletta's reel Works.

I have 4 of the LP reels in various sizes and love each of them as if they were my children.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Last edited by fysh; 08-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road

@ John - Thanks! I'll read into it. I've read that Lamson is a solid reel manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
I wouldn't put a Konic on that classic Sage. But that's just me
In that the reel would outclass the rod, or the rod outclasses the reel, or that the two wouldn't mix well?

I don't entirely follow.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:25 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefingers View Post
@ John - Thanks! I'll read into it. I've read that Lamson is a solid reel manufacturer.

In that the reel would outclass the rod, or the rod outclasses the reel, or that the two wouldn't mix well?

I don't entirely follow.
Personally, I don't like the look of a Lamson - and I own a Velocity 3.5 which I use on a Loomis GLX Native Run 8 wt with Rio Steelhead taper line. I would want something a little more classic looking on an older Sage stick.

Would it work, sure. It just would not be my choice.

From a performance perspective, I'm no expert on Lamson reels. I've landed plenty of Steelhead and Salmon with mine.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 PM

I was considering getting a new Ross CLA 4 off ebay for the rod. Forgive my naivety if I'm going overboard, but I was considering a newer reel for the drag technology and for the warranty. My concern with a Lamson 3 or 3.5 is while reading about them I discovered their discs wear out and require third-party maintenance because Waterworks no longer repairs them and I'd like to avoid unnecessary repair costs.

In an idealized sense I think it would be a neat 'vintage' setup to have both rod and reel in the same era, but I'm purely considering the Sage because it's a solidly performing rod which can last me a lifetime with little to no repair costs. I would imagine a reel you can use interchangeably on rods, such that if I got a newer rod down the road (like a nice 8wt TFO or some such) I would have no issues using the Ross CLA.

If I'm paying over $100 for a reel, I want something that will last.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that this was a short production span that had the clutch issue, it hasn't stopped me from buying the LP's that I have, because if and when a problem does arise all I need to do is send it to Archuletta for a simple repair.($35.00/$40.00 I believe and that included the reel being cleaned and serviced).

I too was concerned about this at one point until speaking to Mr Archuletta, he assured me that once the clutch was changed out that it would be good to go for the reasonable life of the reel.

Since then I've bought 3 more used LP's off of ebay and still haven't one fail. If I had the available funds right now I'd pick that one up. It sure would look good on that RPL.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

You will not regret buying the rod @ $75!

I have a friend that has one and uses it on salmon with ease. I have spent some time casting and and its really nice for how old it is.

Like everyone stated make sure to look over the rod for usage.

For reel I just saw a on some web site I tried looking back to find it and can't. But they were selling the Lamson Konic 3.5 for like 89 bucks I think. You cant go wrong with a Lamson though.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I'd buy it for $75 if it's in good shape.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Yeah, I'm probably going to walk away with the rod on Monday if it's in good condition and I can figure out my reel dilemma. I'd like a used reel, ideally, to outfit the rod since it's not brand new technology itself, but I feel like I'm buying a mystery box with an old reel on ebay - especially with those LP 3's. I think my plan-of-attack is to go in Monday and just ask the guy what reel he outfitted his with, and if there's a chance he'd part with the reel as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Just an update for any of you who were interested in this thread....

I went in today to look at the rod. It was a beauty for sure, it cast like a charm and I was set to buy it however when looking over it with a magnifying glass the tip end of the rod had a hairline fracture between two of the guides and I didn't want to risk purchasing it. Sadness.

However, I know what I want now. I got to casting some rods and looked through some reels and found my match made in heaven- The Sage Response #8 and the Waterworks Lightspeed 3.5. I just want to sleep on it before I go pick the setup, up, but I'm 95% sure it's going to be my new Steelhead/Striper/Bonefish rig.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

That's too bad... I recently had a similar experience when looking into a used rod. There was a small imperfection in the blank just below where the top two pieces came together. Could have been an errant fly but I was not going to risk it and passed on the rod. I know the feeling.

I don't know much about the rod you're looking at but wish you well with it. New stick gives you the warranty. Can't beat that piece of mind.

Cheers,
Mike.