The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road
Default The 2-Piece Sage RPL, 9 wt, And My Concerns

I've been using my dad's old Fenwick 6wt fiberglass rod with a pfleuger medalist reel (I only use the most cutting-edge stuff) to fish stripers in the American River (I'm in California). Admittedly, I know that anything beyond schoolies this setup is a bit under-classed. Recently I went into a local fly shop recently for some tackle and, after discussing with one of the employees about my possibilities of upgrading to a steelhead/striper/black bass setup, he offered his used Sage RPL for a steal-of-a-deal at $75. It's a 9' 2 piece model, which I have read on these boards is a great rod and I'm in no way concerned about it being a bad rod by any means. What I'm more concerned about is that I'd be paying $75 (which I think is a great deal) for an older rod, which could do the trick, but I have been budgeting to spend about $500 (too much?) on a rod/reel/line allwater(ish) setup. I'd like to use it on saltwater if given the opportunity, but 90% of its life I'd imagine would be spent on fresh. Browsing the boards showed the TFO BVK and the ROSS CLA have been tried-and-true gear.

I'm still a novice at the sport - I've only been fly fishing for a few months. So with that said, I don't think I need my first purchase to be the Ferrari of rod+reel setups, but I'd still like something that I can use, hopefully, for a lifetime! I have also considered that 9 wt might be a tad bit on the large size for lakes for black bass, where an 8wt might be a better setup. Then again, at the price of $75, at the advice of you guys I wouldn't have an issue of just having the rod to own, if it's built to last, for training purposes with larger weight rods and to have as a backup down the road.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The 2-Piece Sage RPL, 9 wt, And My Concerns

I have a good friend who just replaced his RPL 2 piece with a Sage One. He has landed lots of fish on that rod and really only upgraded because he just wanted something new. Unless it has some major defect in it, I would have no problem fishing an RPL if it cost me $75. IF nothing else, it would make a great backup rod, like you said.

But... I am a gear junkie!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I'd buy it.... I fish a 10wt RPL 2 piece right next to my Scott S4s 10wt and like fishing both equally as much. The only downfall is it's a 2 piece but if your not going to be flying with it I see no problem with it.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

That's a classic Ferrari, It's a RPL for 75 depending on its shape, excellent buy.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM

I appreciate everyone's input. I've been erring on the side of bringing the cash with me when I look at it next week (when I meet with the guy, and practice some casting on it), but I think what has been concerning me is that I've heard carbon fiber rods can get microscopic flaws through use and one day - blamo - the thing snaps in half. Given it's a 20 year old rod (I'd imagine), he may have the best intentions of selling me a well-kept and great rod that just might have an imperfection from use.

I guess that's a risk to take when getting used equipment, rods especially.

What kind of reel do you have seated on your rod, wishiniwerfishin?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

At $75 bucks you can hardly go wrong. Classic Sage rod.

Give the rod a good looking over, check the wraps, look for splits or damage at the joint, and make sure the reel seat is still tight and has no wiggle.

Be sure and post some pics if you pick 'er up.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The guys commented on the $75 rod. I'll comment on the 8 vs 9 weight debate.

Here's what to think of.
  1. If you just want a stick for black bass or river Stripers, all you really need is an 8 weight.
  2. If you plan on fishing for Stripers in the open waters of the Delta, go with a 9 weight. It will give you some punch when the wind picks up.
  3. If you want to add King Salmon to the mix, get a 9 weight for the extra backbone.

Dennis
Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The RPL was "best in class" in its day and still a fine rod. Buy it, fish it, and you will learn a lot about what your next fly rod need will be. It was designed by the same team that your older Fenwick came from.
fysh likes this.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Well, alright! You guys have me convinced. I'll look it over Monday for flaws that might be potentially "rod-breaking", and if it seems to be in good shape I'll take it home with me.

Any suggestions on a good reel to outfit it with? I was thinking of maybe a Lamson Konic or a Ross CLA. I'd plan on getting a 7-9 wt reel so that I could use it interchangeably on other rods (especially an 8wt rod that I'd fish stripers/bass/steelhead with) that I'll pick up down the road.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefingers View Post
Well, alright! You guys have me convinced. I'll look it over Monday for flaws that might be potentially "rod-breaking", and if it seems to be in good shape I'll take it home with me.

Any suggestions on a good reel to outfit it with? I was thinking of maybe a Lamson Konic or a Ross CLA. I'd plan on getting a 7-9 wt reel so that I could use it interchangeably on other rods (especially an 8wt rod that I'd fish stripers/bass/steelhead with) that I'll pick up down the road.
I wouldn't put a Konic on that classic Sage. But that's just me