The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default $500 To Spend Max...

If I had $500 max to spend on rod(s), reel(s), etc. What should I get for fishing stripers, largemouth, salmon, surf fishing, large steelhead.

I figure I'll purchase Allen Reels.

I'm not stuck on specific brands, but I like the idea behind Redington, TFO, Echo... I think you get a lot for your money.

I currently own a Redington CT 9' 6wt and Sage LL 8'6" 4wt for my trout, "Half Pounder" steehead, and small some bass fishing. At least for trout fishing I like a slower action rod. I've never fished for the species above on a fly rod, but I've caught them all on spinning and casting gear. So I do not know if I should try medium fast or fast action. I'll be fishing the California Delta, American River, Feather River and maybe the Klamath, Smith etc.

I'd really like to try surf fishing, if there is anyware within 2-3 hours of Sacramento, CA. and maybe some other light saltwater fishing I could do from a kayak or other small craft.

So do I need more rods and reels than $500 is likely to purchase for all the above?

If I had to sacrifice one for now it would be surf and other salt fishing.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-20-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $500 To Spend Max...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmonkey View Post
If I had $500 max to spend on rod(s), reel(s), etc. What should I get for fishing stripers, largemouth, samon, surf fishing, large steelhead. I'm waiting for a insurance claim to settle I should end up with $500 to spend maybe more...
An 8 weight should cover your needs. You can consider a 9 weight if the rod will be used more for Delta Striped Bass or King Salmon.

Quote:
I figure I'll be Allen Reels for these rods.
Okay. I can't comment on it, except many seem to like the product.

Quote:
I'm not stuck on specific brands, but I like the idea behind Redington, TFO, Echo... I think you get a lot for your money.
There are plenty of viable rods at the middle price points.

Quote:
I currently own a Redington CT 9' 6wt and Sage LL 8'6" 4wt for my trout and "Half Pounder" steehead. So at least for trout fishing I like a slower action rod. I've never fished for the species above on a fly rod, but I've fished and caught them all on spinning and casting gear at one time or another. So I do not know if I should try medium fast or fast action. I'll be fishing the California Delta, American River, Feather River and maybe the Klamath, Smith etc.
The reality is that there are more fast action rods in the heavier line sizes. If a rod feels a tad fast for you, you can always use a heavier line to slow it down. Keep in mind that you can be overlining as much as two to three line sizes if you get into the Striped Bass game. Also faster rods have stiffer butt sections. The stiffer butt section will allow for more lifting power.

Quote:
I'd really like to try surf fishing, if there is anyware to do it within 2-3 hours of Sacramento, CA. and maybe some other light salt water fishing I could do from a kayak or other small craft.
Pacifica, Pt. Reyes, Santa Cruz

Quote:
So do I need more rods and reels than $500 is likely to purchase for all the above?
The reality is that the tackle you get will need to have wide performance windows. For the rod, it will need to be able to throw a nymph rig or heavy sink tip line for Steelhead. Also it will need to be able to throw heavier 300+ grain shooting heads and big 3/0 flies to Largemouth Bass and Stripers. Your reel will need to be able to slow down the speed of a Steelhead and punish a knock down brawler like a Striped Bass or Largemouth Bass.

Can you get something within that budget? Yes. Can you get something that will have that wide performance window? Possibly.

MP
Old 07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: $500 To Spend Max...

MP Thanks for the excellent detailed reply.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.