The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 AM

randyb is on a distinguished road
Smile new to forum...question...

Hello everyone....i am new to both the forum and fly fishing....i live in central Iowa and i am a active fisherman.....i am somewhat of a antique and junk hound also...always have meant to try fly fishing, so yesterday at a local auction i had ocassion to purchase some fly fishing equipment that is older and i would like to find some additional info about..... two rods, one is a japan made bamboo that is four peice...it came in a wooden case and is branded 'Vicki'.....the other rod is a green fiberglass one with a sticker on it that says 'Cacne Master, Inc.'..Logan, Utah..also has this hand written on it (#350, 8')....in addition a Heddon model 5 reel in the orginial box.....it all appears unused in new condition....i could find very little info regarding any of the items online.....i would like to know vintage and recommended use etc......thanks.....
Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to forum...question...

There's a lot of those "Vicki" rods around and unfortunately they're pretty low quality and not of much value.
I'm not at all familiar with the glass rod. It may be a custom or re-branded rod and sold under the name of a local shop. Quality rods will have decent hardware and at least one guide for every foot the rod is long. In this case 8.
Petty much anything Heddon is collectable but those automatic fly reels aren't all that popular and are rarely used anymore
Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Thanks Rip Tide.....the glass rod does in face have 8......
Old 08-26-2012, 12:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The 'Boo was built in Japan, probably in the very late '40's to mid-50's. Mom knew a Military Pilot who purchased one for her (for my Christmas present) and brought same back. I think they retailed for about $50.00 here, less there.

Top end equipment? But in the hands of a 13-14 year old it was Pure Magic.

fae
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Japanese cane rod when I was a kid. Unlike the "vicki" there was no box or gaudy flies included and it was a 3/1, not a 3/2.

I remember very well that it cost all of $3

I still have most of the pieces.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Thanks guys.......well,,,i did a little internet research on how to tie leaders and put a old doll fly of sorts on the glass rod and went to the local river....caught about a dozen smallmouths...i was pretty lame at casting but started getting the hang a bit after a while.....i really need to prefect how to be ready for a strike.....i fumbled around real bad trying to get the fish in after hooked.....thanks again, i may be hooked....
Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Building a leader is frequently 'over-kill' save for spookie fish on still water. There, 'presentation is king.'

Save for buying a 'predone,' just go easy on yourself and follow the 60-20-20 bit. 60% butt section, half that test for the next 20% and the last 20% tippet.

It really does work just fine.

fae
Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Randy