The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Looking for a truck rod

Im wondering if anyone has any recomendations for just a decent little truck rod. One that can ride around in the trunk, toolbox, or backpack during motorcycle rides for any unexpected fishing that I may encounter. It would be kept in a rod tube but one that if it were to get broken/lost/stolen I wouldn't be hurt as bad.

thinking about picking up a Cabelas Cahill outfit, Ive never fished one but do have a good 3 hours of casting on one (outdoor rec class in highschool) For $40 it seems like the best option but I want to make sure there isnt something better that I am missing.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a truck rod

This is what yard sale fiberglass rods are all about.
Right now behind the seat of my truck is a 8' Berkley ParaMetric 7wt with a medalist reel. I got an old 333 6wt line on it and it works just fine.
It's strung up ready to cast, never in a tube, and I don't even need to think twice about that.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:59 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Rip. Call it my trunk rod. Fenwick streamer glass 5wt with a Daiwa reel and floating SA line. Always strung and ready to fish behind the seat in my trunk. Have an extra spool for the Daiwa with sinking line and a box of assorted flys. Can't begin to list how many times it came in handy when at a function that I really would have rather been somewhere else!

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Never could understand how people can go to beach lay on a blanket and stare at water without fishing. Strange.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Well Im currenly going to school in the middle of a no fishing zone, theres a few resevoirs near by but nothing along the lines of trout streams, yard sales that I have seen dont have much.

Guess I should post:

Here is the rod Im looking at.
Cabela's: Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit

Has a few negative reviews about durability I dont like the idea of spending $150 on a "truck rod" but if it would hold up better that may be the way to go Something like the Redington Crosswater? $120 comes with rod/reel/line/case

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Never could understand how people can go to beach lay on a blanket and stare at water without fishing. Strange.
Haha on a recent trip back east we went and stayed on the coast, I got bored looking for seashells and building sand castles with the younger siblings so I soon ventured off to the nearest pier to hangout with the fisherman. Awesome experience to see some of the fish that they catch.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Eagle Claw yellow glass with an ebay Ocean City reel throw some line on it stash it behind the seat ad ride. You might sped 50 to 80 bucks depending on what line you get.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Im with bash, I have a Yellow Eagle Claw that stays under the seat of the truck for emergancy situations

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, eagle claw featherweight/pflueger medalist combo is my bang around rig. knocked of the top of the car recently and it hit hard on the asphalt. no prob. scuffed up a bit but no worries here
plus its just plain fun to fish

casey

ARFE
Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

They got the Eagle claw rods at W*lmart for 20 beans... can't go wrong !

A lot of people like those 3 Forks rods,..... I'm not one of them.
I had one of the very popular 3wts and sold it. And I don't ever sell my rods.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM

hmm Ill have to check these eagle claws out when im at wally world next, dont think i have ever seen one. Thanks all
Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

Unless you want to go super-cheap you might consider a used rod on ebay. I think I spent $139 for my Albright A5. It has a nice small rod case and best of all it's a 5 piece rod so ideal for backpacking and probably motorcycling too. It also casts great. Albright's are a bit more these days but maybe a used Orvis Clearwater. Probably can't go wrong with Redington either.