The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 01:22 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Fast(er) action 6wt for someone who fishes med-fast rods

I absolutely love my 9' 6wt Z-axis. I got the blank on discount off of Sierra trading post's already discounted prices and used the savings to build it with Fuji SiC strippers and Recoil snakes and tiptop. It's an awesome rod that casts and fishes like a dream. I dunno what's being asked for them, but I have a hard time thinking of how a 6wt rod could be better (for me).

I have also built an 8'6" 4wt on a St. Croix SCV blank (Legend Elite) that I love just as much, so I doubt you'd be disappointed in their 6wt offering.

Good luck! Rod shopping is fun...
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

I personally love the Sage ONE. It feels stiffer than the VXP, but once u
You get used to it, it absoloutely fires like a rocket and is delicate upon demand. Especially the 6 & 7 wt's are fun and versatile. It's also incredibly precise. If you want delicate work, I would recommend RIO Gold or SA Gpx, and RIO Outbound for distance. I use my 8 WT Sage ONE with Outbound for salmon and that thing fires anything 60-70 feet without a problem.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I would recommend two rods. G-Loomis streamdance GLX HLS 9' 6wt and St. Croix legend elite 9' 6 wt. These babies are cannons with feel. I would try different lines like Rio gold and Rio grande which is 1/2 line weight heavier or if you prefer sci-angler mastery GPX taper which I believe is 1/2 line weight heavier.
imxer likes this.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:47 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

@biggie_robs - Did you get a chance to cast the 6wt version of the St. Croix Legend Elite? Thoughts?

@nickel - I've heard nothing but good things about the G. Loomis, although the fighting butt is a turnoff for a 6 weight. I have been avoiding casting the GLX because of the price tag...don't want to fall in love with something I can't afford, or rather not willing to pay that much for. Don't see very many streamdance's on the used market either. Wish G.Loomis sold steamdance blanks, they would be at the top of my list for a build.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Sorry, I have not cast a 6wt St Croix. I love my 4wt though.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
@biggie_robs - Did you get a chance to cast the 6wt version of the St. Croix Legend Elite? Thoughts?

@nickel - I've heard nothing but good things about the G. Loomis, although the fighting butt is a turnoff for a 6 weight. I have been avoiding casting the GLX because of the price tag...don't want to fall in love with something I can't afford, or rather not willing to pay that much for. Don't see very many streamdance's on the used market either. Wish G.Loomis sold steamdance blanks, they would be at the top of my list for a build.
I know it's tough to fork over the cash for high dollar rods. $400 should get you a really good 6wt new or used! The fighting butt on the GLX is really more like an end cap...hardly noticeable. I have heard good things about G-loomis pro 4x rod as well so maybe try that if you can. The legend elite 6wt is also right there close to your price range and definitely worth a look. Coming from a medium/fast casting stroke that I thought you had mentioned previously I think you would like the legends fast action.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I'm generally a medium action guy but wanted to step into something faster for throwing streamers and nymph rigs in the wind.

I absolutely love my 6 wt BVK. It's on the medium side of fast with a soft tip (at least compared to the Axium and TICR X).
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I just brought home another Echo rod. This will be my 5th one. This one an 8wt Echo Edge. A Med-Fast action rod. Great rods and company. Pretty hard to argue with the price when you cant justify a high end rod at the time.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Resently I cast the Sage One, Z-Axis, Winston Boron IIIx & Scott S4 all in 6wt.

All were super nice rods, I liked the Scott and Winston best. Maybe Scott a tad more. I got the Scott S4, I found one on Ebay and got it for $370.

I do think it's important to get the right line matched with these rods. The Scott I cast had Rio Gold. I'm hoping to cast the Rod with the Rio Grand, SA Mastery GPX and SA Sharkskin Magnum. Not sure I'll be able to get it done.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
Resently I cast the Sage One, Z-Axis, Winston Boron IIIx & Scott S4 all in 6wt.

All were super nice rods, I liked the Scott and Winston best. Maybe Scott a tad more. I got the Scott S4, I found one on Ebay and got it for $370.
Interesting...I would expect these rods to be 3 different beasts, with the Winston and the Scott to be the fartherest apart...the Scott being considered the stiffest and the fastest and the Winston being slower and having greater flex. I'm curious...what is your preferred 5wt?

To complicate matters even more I have a chance to pick up a like new Sage One 9ft 6 wt. Its only been lawn cast but no warranty card (does that really matter with Sage) for $400! Only problem is I can't cast it first and their are other buyers lined up behind me.