The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fast(er) action 6wt for someone who fishes med-fast rods

The ONE #6 is a brilliant fly rod. I fish the ONE #5 and love it and the 6 may be better. However, these rods performance is best extracted by an experienced caster, they are not too forgiving of stroke timing anomolies or any line slack in the cast. As happens in these threads, respondents start getting into their own thing by page 2 and lose sight of the original question. Fore someone realtivly new to fly castng and not wishing to spend the maximum possible, I reiterate that you would be well served by the now several time mentioned ECHO3 and the TFO BVK would be a good choice too. I have fished both and lean toward the ECHO; it is heavier but has more feel which is a good thing for you. These threads get like a game of telephone, I am guilty of it myself.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
I am not a very good caster and have found many popular fast action rods stiff or too fast to cast with any finesse or accuracy.
Like Sweet & Salt just posted, you might want to look at some of the rods that are more forgiving. I can cast most rods very well, but I spend WAY too much time fishing. About 10 years ago, I decided that learning how to cast well was worth my time, and realized that I had wasted 25 years casting poorly. I broke down every movement I made, and questioned every false cast. My wife makes excessive false casts, often making 5 false casts when one will do. When you choose this path, most rods will perform much better (even though it's really you performing much better). A light and responsive rod is a joy to cast, and there are some really awful rods out there. The dogs are hard to find, but I did run into a guy last year that had just bought an outfit. He was clearly struggling, and I offered to help. One stroke, and I realized that it was a miracle that he could cast beyond 10 feet. Even the $15 rod I bought 35 years ago was 100X better than this telephone pole! The rods you listed are all good, and you can grow into a rod.
My Z-Axis and I clicked right from the start, but not past 45 feet. I can toss pretty much an entire line whenever I want with the Z-Axis now, but I had to learn what the rod demanded. S&S's comment about the ONE not being forgiving have been echoed here and elsewhere, so you have to try them. If you and the rod hit it off right away, excellent. If you feel that the rod has potential for you, and are willing to become a better caster, that might be the right rod for you. I can assure you that my first fast action rod and I did not get along from the start, but I ended up buying 3 more when they were on closeout (Diamondback Aeroflex).
Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I'd find a 9 ft. 6 wt. Z-Axis and spend the money. You won't regret it.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Where did you say that $400 Sage One was again?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Interesting...I would expect these rods to be 3 different beasts, with the Winston and the Scott to be the fartherest apart...the Scott being considered the stiffest and the fastest and the Winston being slower and having greater flex. I'm curious...what is your preferred 5wt?

To complicate matters even more I have a chance to pick up a like new Sage One 9ft 6 wt. Its only been lawn cast but no warranty card (does that really matter with Sage) for $400! Only problem is I can't cast it first and their are other buyers lined up behind me.
I wanted and got a 6wt. As for the Scott and Winston they both were very different rods, yet i loved both and would have been happy with the Winston. As far as the Sage rods went, for me they were very good I just happened to like the Scott & Winston better, I'm not sure why. Some how they just didn't feel right, or better put the other 2 felt better. Based on your post if you can get the One for $400 I think I would do it, its a very nice rod IMO. Had I seen your deal before the Scott I would have gotten the Sage and been happy. If I had seen both deals at the same I would have gotten the Scott.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

@FrankB2- I hear you about practice, that is something I have slacked on the last two years. I have been fly fishing 7 years now...the first 3 years I was out fishing a couple times a month, sometimes a couple times a week...the last 2 years it's been more like a couple of times a year.

I recently picked up"Casts that catch fish" and am getting back into a regular routine to get ready for an AZ trip in a few weeks. I may spend an extra day and go take a lesson again depending on how the trip goes. I have two more trips planned this fall so I have motivation.

As for the One I talked to the guy that owns it and decided, at least this time around, to pass. I could probably learn to cast it and cast it well, but I think it's just to far a stretch from the other rods in my quiver (ZXL, SLT, SPL).

Hopefully in another month I'll get a chance to cast the Echo, TFO, St. Croix, Scott A4 and Winston GVK find a better match for me.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM

barham will become famous soon enough

I have several Sage and Winston rods including 5 wt Zaxis and B3x, but I recently purchased a Winston B2x 9ft 6wt for $340 and I think it is the nicest casting rod I have ever fished with.
Barham
Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
I have several Sage and Winston rods including 5 wt Zaxis and B3x, but I recently purchased a Winston B2x 9ft 6wt for $340 and I think it is the nicest casting rod I have ever fished with.
Barham
Nicer then your BiiiX?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Maybe not better, but as good and substantially less expensive.
Barham
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM

I saw where brookfieldangler had a mhx rod blank custom made and is very satisfied. For whatever its worth, I built a mudhole mhx kit in 4wt 8ft and think it is a very sweet small stream rod.
barham