The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Fast(er) action 6wt for someone who fishes med-fast rods

Looking to pick up a 9ft 6wt in the near future and would like some input(personal opinions) on fast-ish action rods. My current go to rod is a 9ft 5wt Scott A3. I am looking for a 6wt with a little more power and distance to fish medium to large rivers on windy days and lakes (from the shore) on average days. I would be targeting trout and be using nymphs, dry-droppers, hopper-droppers and small to medium sized streamers. I am not a very good caster and have found many popular fast action rods stiff or too fast to cast with any finesse or accuracy. Rods I am considering are:

St Croix Legend Elite - Always been a fan of St Croix and their top not customer service. The 5 and 8wt versions of this rod did very well in the Yellowstone Angler shootout.

Winston GVX - 5wt version of rod did really well in the Reds Fly Shop test. Could not find any reviews of the 6wt version and the nearest dealer with one is 5 hrs away.

Scott A4 - Al the reviews I have read say it is faster and has more punch then the A3 it replaced.

Rods I have ruled out are the Sage VXP (too stiff), anything TFO (not impressed with the quality), and the high end Winstons (too expensive).
Have not tried the Sage One yet, but I gather the casting tempo required to make the rod really perform may be too difficult for me.

Basically I want to put together a list of rods worth testing as I have quite a hual to get to a fly shop. Thoughts?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fast(er) action 6wt for someone who fishes med-fast rods

I would add a Redington CPX (or the Link in the new 2013 line up) to your test list. I have a 5wt 9' CPX that I really like. Great bang for the buck too.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

A couple of med-fast to fast action rods with great feel to consider are:

1) Redington CPS, 9ft 6wt (very nice action but the cork grip did not fit my hand)
2) Loomis Streamdance GLX, 9ft 6wt (my all time favorite 6wt, I have yet to cast another 6wt as far easily or as effectively into a stiff wind)
3) The Sage Z axis, 9ft 6wt: All time great rod, albeit may be a bit more than what you are budgeting. Plus it is tough to find a new one since it was discontinued.

To throw another one into the mix would be the Sage ZXL 9ft 6wt. This is the one I ended up purchasing during my quest for a general do it all 6wt. I have fished it twice since I got it and it is really close to the Z axis in terms of ease of booming out long casts but has significantly better feel to the z axis (in my humble opinion )

Regards.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

How about a custom built 6wt? I have been putting one through hell for the past few weeks and absolutely love it. It's fast and powerful without being too fast.

Has no problem casting 1/0 deer hair poppers with moderate wind and absolutely no problem with #4 - 8 clousers and a sink tip.

The blank is an MHX. 9' 4pc 6wt....around the $200 mark. PM me if you want info on the builder.

Here a few pics of fish I've landed with it so far

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

I have heard good things about the Loop Evotec but I have never seen one, must less gotten to sling one. No shops I have been to carry Loop stuff. If they have one for you to try let us know what you think.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
1) Redington CPS, 9ft 6wt (very nice action but the cork grip did not fit my hand)

I did try the CPX and thought it was quite stiff had a rather heavy swing weight...not something I would want to fish for 4 hrs straight.

2) Loomis Streamdance GLX, 9ft 6wt (my all time favorite 6wt, I have yet to cast another 6wt as far easily or as effectively into a stiff wind)
Would love a Streamdance! Have been puting off casting one for that reason...afraid to fall in love with a rod that I am not willing to spend that kind of money on...ditto for the upper end winstons. While I can afford it it I just can bring myself to spend over $400 on a rod

3) The Sage Z axis, 9ft 6wt: All time great rod, albeit may be a bit more than what you are budgeting. Plus it is tough to find a new one since it was discontinued.

Wish I would have grabbed a Z axis when they were being closed out, I like my buddies but the used ones are going for ridiculous amounts of money
No Loop dealers anywhere near me that I know of. I have though about going custom as my buddy is a rod builder...but this is the first I have heard of MHX. How about a review of the MHX rod you had built?

Has anyone fished the GVX?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I too aquired a 9'/#6 this past spring for some the same reasons as you expressed. The above recomendations of G.Loomis StreamDance HLS and Z-Axis if you can find one on close-out are are booth top notch. I will add the one I went with, Rajeff's Sports ECHO3. It is a mid priced rod that fishes like a premium rod. It has tons of power in its medium-fast action, generates easy distance casting but is forgiving to cast and is well appointed and good looking. Rajeff Sports is a hip company and fun to deal with and they are the US distributers of UK made Airflo Lines which are a great match for this $350 rod.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Rajeff Sports is a hip company and fun to deal with
+1 on Rajeff's company. I have the discontinued Echo Classic in 6 wt and it's a fine rod, especially at the price...and the other Echo products I've fished have been solid value rods. Called their office once with a question and ended up with Tim on the phone helping me...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

okay, I'll play. I have one of these and I love it.

Pacific Bay - IM7 - 9 - 6 Wt.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I too aquired a 9'/#6 this past spring for some the same reasons as you expressed. The above recomendations of G.Loomis StreamDance HLS and Z-Axis if you can find one on close-out are are booth top notch. I will add the one I went with, Rajeff's Sports ECHO3. It is a mid priced rod that fishes like a premium rod. It has tons of power in its medium-fast action, generates easy distance casting but is forgiving to cast and is well appointed and good looking. Rajeff Sports is a hip company and fun to deal with and they are the US distributers of UK made Airflo Lines which are a great match for this $350 rod.
Funny that you mentioned the Streamdance and Echo 3, I talked to a shop earlier today and they said the same thing. I described the rod I was looking for and asked them if the GVX would fit the bill. The particular salesperson I talked to didn't seem to have to much experience with the GVX, but had good things to say about the Streamdance and Echo 3. They actually fish and prefer the Echo 3 over the Streamdance... and went on to say what a great company Echo was. Sounds like I should put in the extra effort to find an Echo dealer nearby...or take advantage of free Cabelas' shipping