The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 PM

yucaton_tom is on a distinguished road
Default Reputation of Sage RPLXI Rods - Good Value?

How good are the Sage rods that were sold around 2007 - 2008? As an example the Sage RPLXi 890-3 Graphite III - 8# line - 9'0" - 4 1/8 oz.

Has fly rod technology evolved to the point that there are better rod values on the market? From what I have seen on a lot of forums, there don't seem to be that many Sage owners, but the ones that own one, are extreme believers and won't use anything else.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-30-2012, 11:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reputation of Sage RPLXI Rods - Good Value?

The last production year for the Sage RPLXi series of rods was 2003. The demand for 4 piece rods was growing due to travel requirements. Also Sage wanted to introduce G5 Technology in the RPLXi's replacement, the Xi 2.

I owned RPLXi's in 7, 9, and 13 weights. They were fine rods at the time. Since then, my heavier rod quiver includes newer models from Sage, Scott, and Hardy. The newer graphite models are just as powerful, if not more, lighter, and more accurate at greater distances, as well, as close in.

Dennis
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 PM

custer is infamous around these parts

From my viewpoint, the RPLXi is a world class rod. In fact, I fished one this morning in the salt. A case can be made that what is available today is better - but at what price...

I have had many opportunities to own newer rods since I bought this one 10 years ago or so, but why? The fellow I was fishing with today was asking me about upgrading, I told him if it was me - I'd just keep looking for a RPLXi until I found one. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi custer.
Welcome I have a VPS in a 6Wt which is virtually the same Rod it's also Built on a Graphite III Blank I find it a good Rod & easy to cast as well as a Z axis which I've only used a couple of times.
There must have been heaps made & are still quite popular,they seem to be coming out of The closets as they are always for sale on Ebay mostly in a New Condition.
The main thing The later Rods have over the earlier ones is they are lighter because of all The advanced Technology.
Brian
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

MP said it right; many fine new rods are much lighter and more powerful and accurate...even more fun to fish. However, RPL/RPLX(i) where great rods at the top of their class in their day and tough as nails. When I got those Sage's they were new up-grades over rods I had earlier which did not make my older rods "bad" rods. Same holds today; a new Sage "Method" #8 might be a major upgrade over an old RPLXi, but the old Sage is still a fine rod.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I fish a Sage RPL 6 weight I bought in the nineties. It is the best rod I've owned for what I do with it, which is throw clousers and other heavy stuff into the salt or bass ponds. Delicate it ain't, but for double hauling a size 2 clouser out there? Its a champ. I love that rod. I think I paid three bills for it. It was a custom wrap on a Sage blank that a customer didn't pick up. The same guy defaulted on a JK Fisher 4 weight and I scored them both for six hundred with sweet guides and beautiful threaded fish on both. It was a good day at the fly shop. But seriously, you won't go wrong with a Sage. Its a fast rod and will make a long cast for you.