The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Casting one to the Fenwick aficionados (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/295636-casting-one-fenwick-aficionados.html)

toonah 09-03-2012 09:47 AM

Casting one to the Fenwick aficionados

I'm in my mid fifties. Back in 10th grade I was fortunate enough to win the big fish contest held by the local outdoor club. First prize was any rod of your choosing at the local sporting goods store. My father said he would take care of it. He came home with the most expensive rod they had: a Fenwick FF857 ($56). It has remained unfished until recently. Primarily an ultralight fisherman, I dabbled with fly rods from time over the years, 4 through 6wts. Never really caught the bug. A recent trip down the Juniata here in Pa. has me wanting to throw top water bass bugs after those smallies. The FF 857 fits the bill fine for me. Now to my question. Googling this particular model shows it's weight range from 3 3/4 oz. to 3 7/8 oz. Mine says 4 oz. The serial# is prefaced with a K. Did Fenwick weigh each rod as it came off the line and mark it accordingly or was it different from a 3 3/4 oz. by design? How unusual is this? Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Hardyreels 09-03-2012 10:19 AM

Re: Casting one to the Fenwick aficionados

Hi,

Welcome To the forum. I can't answer your question although I suspect our member Rip Tide will. I did fish a Fenwick 8' 6 weight for many years and found the rod to be a good one. What are you considering for a reel? I still have the Pflueger that went with my rod but sadly the rod was broken in the late 70's............

Glad to have you here, we have plenty of Small Mouth fly fishermen & women here so you'll get plenty of help.

Ard

mojo 09-03-2012 11:18 AM

This should help you. According to Tom Chandler, it should be good with a 7 or 8 wt. line
fiberglass fly rods / Fenwick

toonah 09-03-2012 02:29 PM

Thanks Ard. I'm reluctant to share the reel I'm using for fear your skin might crawl and you'll want to take this lurker turned newbie out back and whip finish him until he molts. But you asked so I'll answer. I have a Sage 1680 large arbor. Not aesthetically a classic match up but if it works I'm happy. If I change it will be because of the balance. Great site. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Mojo The link you've posted is the page I'm referring to that had the FF 857 between 3 1/2 and 3 7/8 oz. Mine marked 4 oz is what made me curious. Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Correction ...Weight range between 3 3/4 and 3 7/8

mojo 09-03-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonah (Post 481361)
Thanks Ard. I'm reluctant to share the reel I'm using for fear your skin might crawl and you'll want to take this lurker turned newbie out back and whip finish him until he molts. But you asked so I'll answer. I have a Sage 1680 large arbor. Not aesthetically a classic match up but if it works I'm happy. If I change it will be because of the balance. Great site. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Mojo The link you've posted is the page I'm referring to that had the FF 857 between 3 1/2 and 3 7/8 oz. Mine marked 4 oz is what made me curious. Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Correction ...Weight range between 3 3/4 and 3 7/8

Being the Wiki for 'glass rods, it's possible to have a 4 oz. rod. Just because it's not there, doesn't mean they didn't have a 4 oz. rod. You could add it to the information.

rockriver 09-03-2012 03:44 PM

I still have my 7 foot 5 wt. from the 70 matched with a 1494. It's cherry and will remain so. I hope.

klunker 09-03-2012 07:52 PM

I have 2 fenwick flyrods. one is a 8 1/2 ft 8 wt rod FF858, I have used this rod this summer for smallmouths when paired with a RIO Clouser line. Worked good, no issues with it. Its listed as 4 1/8 ozs and its serial # starts with a L. And the other is a 7 1/2 ft 6 wt FF756. Serial # starts with a "M". its 3 1/2 oz.

I'd suspect that the letter at the start of the serial # might have some significance to year produced. Don't have any evidence for that just a guess.

I'd like to get rid of both of these rods. I don't have a use for them and I'd like to see them go to someone who would use them. They are good useable rods it just that I do about 95% of my fishing with 8wts and I already have 3 of them.

joebloe 09-26-2012 11:09 AM

Nice to see this thread - I got ahold of a Fenwick FF705 from a friend - Paired it with a closeout Lamson Radius reel - and absolutely love to fish it - it's fun to catch everything, little or large - I feel it's the only rod I need most of the time - gets positive comments from others - ("hey, my dad had that rod") - cheers!

Hardyreels 09-26-2012 02:38 PM

Hi Toonah,

When it comes to reels, we use what we have or we use what we like. I'm not all about 30 year old reels, I have some new ones that are only about 10 :D

The end of my Fenwick was a hard lesson learned. I had fished up around Hillsgrove PA. with a fellow one evening in 1977 I believe. He drove us there and he drove an old El Camino with one of those custom caps they had if you would spring for them. It was dark when we got back to his ride and it took until we were home (about 60 miles) and were unloading when I realized I had left my 8' six weight on the roof of the cap, broken down but not in the tube. I picked up the empty tube and knew right away what I had done.

yes, I made the 60 mile trip back only to find the rod in pulverized condition having been ran over several times. :( I replaced that rod with one of their HMG graphite rods in 5 weight and never could make the rod work right. Way too fast and not a good fit for me so in 1979 I got 65 dollars for it on trade for the Far & Fine I fish with today :) A sad tale for the Fenwick but a happy ending for me.

Ard

db cooper 10-30-2012 07:18 AM

The Fenwick FF857 was definitely one of their more popular/common models. I have 3 of them of varying generations and all three are listed at different line weights and overall weights. A 6,7,8 and sometimes 9 are right in the wheelhouse for these super versatile rods. Fenwick was kind of famous for constantly changing or tweeking their tapers, which is why you see such a variation in this rod model. Its a great rod and i hope you enjoy it.