The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Help me price my very rare Pre-Colorado Scott G Series Rod...

Answering to both Steve and Paul's comments on this reply; to Steve, the early Orvis graphite rods produced from 1974 - 1984 continually sell for nearly their original retail price. This I know because I always save the 'Graphite' - Far & Fine - and the Limestone Special rods to watch the pricing. Typically the pre 1980 Far & Fine's sell in the 250 - 325 price range. I have seen a few Limestone Specials go as low as 175 but in perfect condition they seem to be held in high esteem. I just thought to add the early Orvis Graphite to the list.

Paul,

I did manage to snatch up a 6' 6" Orvis Full Flex glass rod last year in new condition. What I can tell you is that rods such as this will handle a line weight range from 4 - 7, although they are rated for a #6. I settled on a #5 line and am happy as a bug in a rug. I paid 185 for the rod and am satisfied with it.

As for the original posting; it seems that a rod is worth what a fisherman is willing to pay. By being careful of how you sell you may find the right person and you will both get what you want.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Paul, I did manage to snatch up a 6' 6" Orvis Full Flex glass rod last year in new condition. What I can tell you is that rods such as this will handle a line weight range from 4 - 7, although they are rated for a #6. I settled on a #5 line and am happy as a bug in a rug. I paid 185 for the rod and am satisfied with it.
I have a 9' Golden Eagle 8wt. that I got unused and almost wish that I left it that way.... almost
It's a hell of a rod with a Phillipson made blank and shoots line like nobodies business
This other rod that I'm looking at is $175 and I figure that's at the upper end of it's actual value.
.... But, I still haven't fished the bamboo rod that I bought earlier in the season, so it's not like I really need another one ... yet

That same Phillipson made rod with a different label, like LLBean, Abacrombie& Fitch, Clapp & Treat, or some other private shop might be substantially less.
The Orvis label might actually make it more valuable than the Phillipson... I don't really know.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM

swangate is on a distinguished road

i thought I would jump in on some basic information about pricing. The Scott G907BT is a special. Scott would build to order normally the G90-7B was a Bass Fly Rod Retailed at $270.00 in the early 1980s. The extra tip for Trout would be added at about $125.00 to $140.00. So a retail purchase was about $400.00. Harry Wilson had the blanks made specially made to his design and were not off the shelf blanks. The great thing about these rods is that they don't really lose their strength with use, at least not in our lifetime. The sale priceshould be at least in line with premium rods of current manufature if not more.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM

stflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I would be very interested in purchasing this rod. I currently own a Scott Murray Bass Fly Rod and love it. Please contact me at rbruns@stny.rr.com.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

I had a late '80s Scott G905 (5 wt 2 pc) from berkley in excellent condition. I contacted Scott to ask about value, and was told my best bet would be a collector. Even e-bay had only had 1 around the same time. Unfortunately it was only going for the amount i had paid when new. A local fly shop took it in trade for a brand new TFO 2 hander.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 AM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

There is actually a pretty decent looking G on ebay right now. Not too many bids. Sitting around 60 bucks right now. I don't think the seller knows what they have...listed it as a "6905" versus a Scott G 905...

Looks like no original tube or sock(?) although it appears to come with some type of sock. Original cork seat etc, and low serial number...4810. Condition looks very good.

What should I bid on this thing?