The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Question Help me price my very rare Pre-Colorado Scott G Series Rod...

I have a very unique/rare rod that I'm thinking of selling. It's a Scott G907BT with came out of Berkley, CA before Scott moved to Colorado.

In a nut shell it's a 9' 2pc rod that come with 2 tips & 1 butt section, in other words the rod has 3 pieces. One tip making it a 6wt (trout) the other making it a 7wt (bass). I bought the rod new 20 years ago and it served me well for many years. For me the problem is that a 2 piece rod is very hard to travel with. The rod is in very good shape given its age, the rod tube has a few dings as you might expect. Anyway I have too many rods to fish and given the fact I rarely travel with the 2 piece I'm thinking of selling.

The problem is I really have no idea what to ask for the rod.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Help me price my very rare Pre-Colorado Scott G Series Rod...

I have a standard answer for the 'value' questions with a caveat. When buying or selling I find it useful to do a search on eBay for the exact item. After locating some comparable rods, reels, etc; I save the sales to my watch list. After the auction / sale is over I have base data regarding what I may expect to give or receive for a similar item. The caveat is that if I have or want a particular item that may be considered highly desirable by collectors and fishermen alike, that item may have a much higher value than would be thought in general. In such a case, Patience is the key to the optimum benefit regardless of which side of the deal I am on.

I hope that suggestion will be of use,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have a standard answer for the 'value' questions with a caveat. When buying or selling I find it useful to do a search on eBay for the exact item. After locating some comparable rods, reels, etc; I save the sales to my watch list. After the auction / sale is over I have base data regarding what I may expect to give or receive for a similar item. The caveat is that if I have or want a particular item that may be considered highly desirable by collectors and fishermen alike, that item may have a much higher value than would be thought in general. In such a case, Patience is the key to the optimum benefit regardless of which side of the deal I am on.

I hope that suggestion will be of use,

Ard
Hardy, I agree with what you say. That said I've been checking Ebay & CL for this rod over the past year (I keep going back and forth if I want to sell) and have never seen this rod anywhere. I can find the rod in a 6wt and 7wt, but never there model I have. Anyway I'm hoping someone here may have this rod and able to lend a little help.

Thanks, good info.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This probably won't help much, but as far as I can tell, people that are interested in vintage graphite are looking for specific "holy grail" rods rather than something that's rare or perhaps just unusual.
I'd vote wait and see but if you're set on selling, you could consign to to an auction.
Lang's Auction has one coming up next month
Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I had that very rod back in the 80's and sold it.have regretted selling, is a rare bird snakes guides on 6 wt. tip and bass guides on 7wt. Never understood why others have tried this,
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

As Mentioned it's hard to put a price on such a Rod,even though it's not as rare & as valuable as most of The Old Hardy's my guess it would have to be worth around the $300 to possibly the $500 mark to someone who appreciates Vintage Gear.
Unforturately prices for second hand/vintage/rare gear isn't what it should be as there's not a huge market for it as there's lots of new gear which is still within peoples budgets,so why not keep it as The Price one day might really escalate.
Brian.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I would hold onto that rod.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have two Scott Pow-R-Ply rods from the 70's built by the great Harry Wilson in San Fransisco. The first, a pre-graphite yellowish glass rod with hollow inserts to compound the taper - hence Pow-R-Ply - has my name inscribed on it in Harry's hand writing. I have no idea if it has any value, less with my name on it I suppose, but I'm never selling it even though I don't and won't ever fish it again. It was my back packing rod that accompanied my brother and me on many a remote wilderness trek back in the day. I also have an 8 1/2'/#5 "G" that was my favorite rod from the late 70's until 1984 or 5 when it was superseded by an Orvis Western 8'9"/#5. Both 2 piece rods because back then ferrules were funkier than they have become now and 2 piece rods cast noticeably better though that has changed. Scott was in the first wave of graphite rod makers following the introduction of graphite by Fenwick (HMG) in 1974. Orvis came out with Far and Fine, Trout and Allrounder the following year. By 1976 blank makers like Lamiglass and J.Kennedy Fisher were producing blanks for any company that wanted to jump into the graphite fray and many did. Among the first to have Fisher custom build blanks to their specifications were Tom Morgan at Winston, the famous green rod a pale facsimile of which is still in production in Twin Bridges but not with the craftsmanship he and Glenn Bracket imbued their earlier rods with and Harry Wilson at Scott (named for his son). Harry did not sell the first graphite fly rod but he conceptualized the roll for graphite in rod design that continues to this day. Seminal Fenwick (the genetic progenitor of Sage) built a fiberglass rod out of graphite and Orvis strove for bamboo action in their initial offerings. Harry Wilson understood that the lighter weight and higher modulus of graphite as a rod building material suggested longer lengths and lighter line weights to perform the same angling tasks as earlier glass or cane rods. Thus the 9'/#4 rod was created by Scott to perform as an 8'/#5 would have in fiberglass. Back then many fly fishers used #6 and 7-wight rods and it was a revelation that a graphite #4 or 5-weight could out perform, in terms of accuracy and distance with similar sized flies, existing glass rods. By the early 80's 9-foot rods were all but the norm and continue to be the most popular length to this day.

This brief history of graphite rods sheds no light on the value of a two-tipped multi line weight rod other than to inform that the blank was built by Fisher and came from the fertile imagination of Harry Wilson . Others, Walt Powell comes to mind, experimented with multi line weight rods but the idea has appropriately fallen by the way side in favor of better casting, specific line weight designs which are still imprecise in some instances and require fine tuning often to the 1/2-weight line size increment but this is a separate thread subject.
coolkyle likes this.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have two Scott Pow-R-Ply rods from the 70's built by the great Harry Wilson in San Fransisco. The first, a pre-graphite yellowish glass rod with hollow inserts to compound the taper - hence Pow-R-Ply - has my name inscribed on it in Harry's hand writing. I have no idea if it has any value, less with my name on it I suppose, but I'm never selling it even though I don't and won't ever fish it again. It was my back packing rod that accompanied my brother and me on many a remote wilderness trek back in the day. I also have an 8 1/2'/#5 "G" that was my favorite rod from the late 70's until 1984 or 5 when it was superseded by an Orvis Western 8'9"/#5. Both 2 piece rods because back then ferrules were funkier than they have become now and 2 piece rods cast noticeably better though that has changed. Scott was in the first wave of graphite rod makers following the introduction of graphite by Fenwick (HMG) in 1974. Orvis came out with Far and Fine, Trout and Allrounder the following year. By 1976 blank makers like Lamiglass and J.Kennedy Fisher were producing blanks for any company that wanted to jump into the graphite fray and many did. Among the first to have Fisher custom build blanks to their specifications were Tom Morgan at Winston, the famous green rod a pale facsimile of which is still in production in Twin Bridges but not with the craftsmanship he and Glenn Bracket imbued their earlier rods with and Harry Wilson at Scott (named for his son). Harry did not sell the first graphite fly rod but he conceptualized the roll for graphite in rod design that continues to this day. Seminal Fenwick (the genetic progenitor of Sage) built a fiberglass rod out of graphite and Orvis strove for bamboo action in their initial offerings. Harry Wilson understood that the lighter weight and higher modulus of graphite as a rod building material suggested longer lengths and lighter line weights to perform the same angling tasks as earlier glass or cane rods. Thus the 9'/#4 rod was created by Scott to perform as an 8'/#5 would have in fiberglass. Back then many fly fishers used #6 and 7-wight rods and it was a revelation that a graphite #4 or 5-weight could out perform, in terms of accuracy and distance with similar sized flies, existing glass rods. By the early 80's 9-foot rods were all but the norm and continue to be the most popular length to this day.

This brief history of graphite rods sheds no light on the value of a two-tipped multi line weight rod other than to inform that the blank was built by Fisher and came from the fertile imagination of Harry Wilson . Others, Walt Powell comes to mind, experimented with multi line weight rods but the idea has appropriately fallen by the way side in favor of better casting, specific line weight designs which are still imprecise in some instances and require fine tuning often to the 1/2-weight line size increment but this is a separate thread subject.
As far as I've seen watching Ebay and auctions, most early graphite rods have little "collectable" value. The only exceptions seem to be the IM6 and Fisher blanked Winstons, and Sage LL's, both of which have a cult following, they don't bring big money, but hold their value pretty well. But the HMG's, the early Lamiglasses, and Powells rarely go for big bucks. I'm personally a fan of the old Scott STS and HP SW rods, and of course the Winston WT's.

Ironically the earlier better made glass rods seem to hold far more value. The Hardy Perfection and Jet, Winston Stalker, Scott Power-ply, Fenwick, and even some of the Garcia Conolons and Shakespere Wonderods all seem to go for pretty good money, especially if you consider what they sell for new.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
Ironically the earlier better made glass rods seem to hold far more value.
I was just drooling over an 7' Orvis Golden Eagle in "as new" condition on the C-list
Unfortunately for me, this guy knows he's got something special.