The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Sage LL B 389-2

I have recently came across a Graphite III Sage LL B 389-2 custom build. From the pictures it looks good and the thread wraps aren't gaudy looking. There isn't a factory tube or sock. I was wondering about the approximate value of this rod. I have searched the bay and have found that factory builds are selling upwards of 400-500+ dollars in pretty good condition. I haven't found very many 2 piece factory builds or 2 piece rods in general, but a lot of 3 and 4 piece rods. Is a 2 piece more desirable in terms of collectabilty? Since it's a custom build and there is no sock or tube does that severely decrease the value? The asking price is $300 and a Ross Colorado reel is included. I'm thinking that it is a decent deal, but am somewhat hesitant because it is a custom build. Any help regarding the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chase

Last edited by chased; 09-05-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Sage LL B 389-2

I am no expert on rods and such. I do think that 2 piece rods are more desirable if you are not traveling a lot. I think the 4 or 5 piece trend is more for travel-ability than performance.

Rod builders have probably perfected the ferrol technology/performance thing but I still think more pieces means more chances of things going wrong, cracking, or things loosening and twisting and miss aligning. I really like my Sage 2 piece and recently chose a 2 piece 4weight St. Croix that was sold in both 2 and 4 piece. The guys in the shop that day tended to agree. I think you'll see the trend someday go back to 2 piece. As far as the sock and tube are concerned I am sure you could contact the company and have them send you a sock and tube for minimal cost. They are really great to deal with.

I could be way off though, just my 2 cents s'all

If I was you I would hold onto and cherish that Sage. I think they are all going to be collectors items if not already.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sage LL B 389-2

I have two LL 389-2 rods. One is a Graphite II the other a Graphite III. IMO the GIIs are more valuable because they rarely are sold.

For the value question I can only answer from my opinion and experience and am far from an expert at pegging value:

3-4 piece rods sell for more money. In the LL 389s I've seen them fetch up to $700 for mint condition 3 and 4 piece sticks. I've not seen a 2 piece fetch that kind of cash. A GII 2 piece could if mint.

Factory builds generally sell for more across most lines of rods.

For an LL I want original tube and the correct sock for collectibility. Obviously has zip to do with performance.

If the stick you're looking at is built well, the blank is in very good shape, $300 is probably mid range of a $275-$325 value simply because it's not factory original.

If you want to fish a LL 389 don't mind 2 piece and are ok with the build, it's a reasonable cost IMO. Plus there is a reel thrown it.

Cheers,
Mike