The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM

blt210 is on a distinguished road
Default Change 2pc to 4 pc rod

About 20 years ago I built a 9.5' (5 wt) flyrod, which for my first and only attempt came out very good. The blank that i bought was a generic type, not a name brand, which was fine since I was just beginning flyfishing. I opted to build a 2 pc rod and now all these years later I regret that. I'd like to modify the rod to a 4 pc rod.

Can that be done? I don't have the skills to do it. There are shops (saltwater) near me where rods are built. I don't want to "screw up" my rod so I'd prefer to have a pro do it.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Change 2pc to 4 pc rod

I'd retire it honorably and go get another rod.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+2. I'm not a builder and not even sure it can be done. Even if it is possible, I would recommend that you keep the rod in tact and get yourself a 4 piece rod. Build a new one or have someone else do it. There are a lot of great rods out there, I wouldn't discount going with a factory production model either.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Almost ANYTHING is possible.....but...

IMHO, don't. It would require adding ferrules and filling in the holliw ends of the narrower section. A lot of expense for sure.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. It's more trouble than it's worth and too easy to mess up.
You're far better off starting fresh

Most of the guides would have to be moved and adding spigot ferrules has to be done from the larger end so the reel seat comes off as well.
I don't see a lot of extra expense, just a lot of work with questionable results
Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM

blt210 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate your help.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1....keep this rod as spare one....buy a new onethere are very decent 4p rods...without spending a fortune
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to expense, action might become an issue. I believe 4 pc rods are designed accounting for the ferrules and adding ferrules might mess it up.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

A car door can perform that transformation, or so I'm told. Personally, I would keep it as a backup rod, or something to let SWMBO use if she indicates a desire to take up fly fishing. That should dissuade her.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 AM

tonemike is on a distinguished road

there are guys who can re-ferrule the rod for you, but it may mess up the action of the rod. i like the simplicity of just having one ferrule vs. three