The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 04:47 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Response

This is just a heads up to those interested in the new rod.

Recently I purchased the new Sage Response rod, 8 wt 9'. The rod itself is fantastic - lots of fast action and makes my amateur hauling look worth a damn. I'm not great at describing rods because I'm by no means an expert at casting but the rod definitely feels like it's designed to have less line aerialized and then shoot out the remainder. With little to no wind, or a headwind I can empty my fly-line on a cast. At a price tag of $395, I'm not sure if you're better off getting the ONE, but the ONE is also almost double the price of the Response. It's a stiff rod with lots of flex and I especially like the double ring/fasteners which hold my Lamson Litespeed 3.5X snugly in place.

However, the specific rod which I purchased had faulty cork and I've had to send it back to Sage. I'm still waiting to hear from them for their analysis but the cork started chipping off the very first time I took it on the water. I was told by the employees of my local fly shop that, often, for new model rods it can be the case that large shipments of cork will be purchased to outfit the new models and occasionally a few rods will be equipped with lower-quality cork. Clearly I'm hoping that Sage will replace my handle with new cork of higher quality. We'll see.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Response

Don't anticipate a fast "response" from Sage, pun intended. They are running 6 weeks for warranty repairs. Add shipping each way and you are looking at 2 months. I'm sure Sage will take care of you but you may lose much of the "new rod enthusiasm" by the time it comes back.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Response

Yeah, I called customer service and heard about that from the rep. She said I was the first person, ever, to call about the Sage Response rod since it is so new. I think it's a good sign (hopefully!) that I just got a faulty cork handle.

I am sad to lose my rod for 2 months, though. Wanted to hit up the fall run steelhead + stripers.