The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 AM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default new to fishing, need some equipment

hello everybody, my whole family likes to fly fish and i always wanted to get into it so i quess im going to give it a go.

just a little background, they mostly fish for trout by and around the penn state area.

im looking to spend around $180 for a rod/reel combo preferably that comes with a case,line,backing,leader.

I was looking at some of the cabelas, and bass pro shop combos and also came across two combos on this forums fly shop.

what do you think would be a good combo and what weight, i was thinking 5 for trout but what do i know.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: new to fishing, need some equipment

eaglesfn68,
Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

You have a number of options to choose from in your price range that are offered to you through the NAFFF Fly Shop

One of the options that I would suggest is the TFO Combos. TFO produces some great rods and for the beginner it is a great option because their combos include case, fly line, backing, leader, fly rod & reel all for $174.95. Purchase some tippet, and flies and you are good to go.

If you don't want a combo rig try the Echo Classic Fly Rods at $139.95 and a Cortland Endurance Large Arbor Fly Reel at $89.

Any thing in a 5wt 9ft is great for someone first starting out until they get a feel for what type of fishing and environment you will be fishing in, then you may want to invest a lot of money into it.

Do some more searching on this forum and you will find loads of info on starter outfits.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 01-02-2008, 06:28 PM

JagXJ684 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JagXJ684

I'm just getting started and I purchased one of the Cabela's combos that came w/ a rod, case, reel, a few flies, chest pack, & some of the handy tools, for about $150 and I'm pretty pleased with it. One thing that I read though reco'd buying an 8wt. rod since I would be fishing for steelhead trout and I had some experience casting a fly rod. I ended up getting the 9ft. 8wt. rod, and I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:10 AM

Icemanf4i is on a distinguished road

I just started as well and one thing you might conisder is do you do any camping /backpacking/ etc what terrain are you in etc. I bought a 5 peice from cabelas because of the breakdown size and packability. There is a post a few down from this one about what cabelas rod i bought along with other opinions
Old 01-12-2008, 12:17 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

both the 3 forks and the 99 dollar cabelas 2 piece combo work great! way worth the money! I use my 8wt all the time. my cousins both have the 3 forks and those r great too!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi eaglesfn68,

Darkknight has made some very good suggestions. The TFO NXT outfit would be my recommendation. Buy it from The Full Creel and you will get a 21 day trial period with free shipping to you. If you don't like it you can send it back. The Full Creel also has some good deals on the ***** Creek rods. If you order from Cabela's or any of the NAFFF sponsors, make sure you go to the site from the sponsors link on the left side of the home page.

Frank
Old 01-13-2008, 07:38 AM

GreatBay is on a distinguished road

Eagle,
Everybody is talking about specific rods, but you'll find that most any beginner system will get you started, you really want to stay away from fast or extra fast action rods.
A Medium fast or medium action rod will help you get your timing down a lot better and help speed your progress to casting efficiently.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll second darknight's reco's as well.

If I fishing around your area, I'd sooner have a 8.5' 4wt, but either that or a 9' 5wt will have you set up well. Either way, get a 4pc rod- being able to carry it on when traveling is a huge plus.

The 8wt won't be needed until you're fishing Erie trib's for steelhead or the Jersey shore for Stripers and Blues.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:00 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Am in agreement with Cliff about the 8 1/2ft rod. A 4wt should be about
ideal for all around Trout fishing in the East.
Have been using the same rod all over the West, in large & small rivers & streams, & have never found it to be inadequate for Trout. If you find one that you enjoy back East & head West to fish, just take it along and keep on
fishing.
Best of luck!