The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Imitation/fraud rods

I recently purchased a higher end fly rod online and I'm alittle underwhelmed with the cosmetic quality of the rod (some finish drips and misses, line guide slightly tilted). It got me wondering; are there cheap imitations out there being passed off as, say, a Z-AXIS?! ...and how would an amateur know if he had the real thing?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Imitation/fraud rods

There are Z-axis blanks for sale, JS fly fishing has the 7'6" 5wt for $250. I suppose someone could buy it, finish it and try to sell it? If you can look at a Z-Axis in a fly shop, I'd compare the thread wrap color, look at the cork and reel seat, etc to see if they match what you have. Perhaps it's just one that slipped through quality control?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

blanks come with a B designation on them.

i.e. RPL 490-4-B

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

There are many ways to tell. But if it is a factory rod I would imagine sage would fix it. I would like to see them fix a problem like yours without charging you.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

If it was a blank that someone wanted to pass off as a factory rod it is quite simple to wipe the "B" off, I do it to all the blanks I buy.

Did you get this rod from an individual or a shop? I assume it was an online purchase, is there any recourse through the website?

If it is indeed a Sage and there are drips and missed finish spots, it wouldn't take an expert to see that it is not a factory Sage rod.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:02 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

If it is a Sage rod, I am sure Sage would send you a new one if your not happy.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the responses; it is possible that I am too fussy but this is the first rod I've spent more than $200 on and I truly expected to be amazed. It doesn't have the B designation and the flaws don't affect it's performance so I may just suck it up and fish it. I believe the seller to be a reputable dealer and at first glance noone would probably notice the flaws I've described.
The rod seems to load easily with an old Rio Mainstream line I had which surprised me as I had heard the Z usually had to be overlined or half wt heavier such as the Rio Grand. This coupled with the imperfections got me paranoid that this blank might have come from the same Chinese factory as a Walmart special. I've never heard of anything like that happening with flyrods but it certainly has with many other products on the market.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago I had a well known shop send me a high end spey rod for a week long test drive before I bought it....the rod arrived, I opened it up and to my surprise the finish was terrible. I put it back in the tube and sent it back that same day. This rod retails for just shy of a 'grand', for that kind of money it better be a well put together and nicely finished rod.

So, yes it does happen from time to time that one slips through the cracks to the consumer.
imxer and mcnerney like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Heh heh. I just returned from a three year tour in South Korea and I can tell you there are numerous imitations of some brand name rods. Loop rods are copied and labeled D-Loop. I've also seen, handled, cast, imitation Hydros and Allen Xa rods. The imitation Allen rod even said Allen on it. I own a an authentic Loop, a Hydros and a couple of Xa Rods and the Korean imitations were very close in finish and action. I know this may not be germain to the topic but it was an interesting three years of seeing these copies circulating in the Korean Fly Shops. I've been to all the fly shops in Seoul and they are filled with lots of imitations. I told one fly shop owner that the rod he was selling looked just like an Orvis Hydros. He just looked at me, smiled proudly, and knodded yes.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I got a rod from Diver Dan and every person I show it to says it's the most beautiful rod they have ever seen.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I got a rod from Diver Dan and every person I show it to says it's the most beautiful rod they have ever seen.

Wow! Thankyou very much. I'm glad you like it. I thought pretty hard about not selling it, but I had way to many rods of the same weight. Still was hard to let go of.
wt bash likes this.