The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough
Default Which spey rod? Sage One Vs Sage TCX

Hey guys I'm looking at saving some money to get a spey in the 12'6" 6wt for steelhead and similar fish. Any opinions between the Sage One and the Sage TCX ?

Also I think a 6wt 12'6" Spey Rod should be plenty for fall steelhead...........

Thanks for any input guys.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which spey rod? Sage One Vs Sage TCX

A 12' 6" 6 weight Spey rod is the norm for the Northern California Steelhead scene. It can cast Skagit and Scandi styles well.

I have not cast a Sage One Spey rod yet.

I have fished a Sage 7126-4 TCX. If you are looking for the ultimate Skagit fishing machine, this rod is it. It can throw those huge heads with heavy tips and big flies. I wrote a "first impression" type review here.

Sage makes a 6119-4 TCX switch rod. Everyone who I know who fishes them agrees that it is a true short Spey rod. They don't nymph fish with it because it is just to darn stiff.

A rod that I am seeing a lot of in NorCal and Southern Oregon is the Anderson Custom Rods 6129-4 STH. Gary Anderson is a rod builder based in Southern Oregon. His rods are beautiful works of art. They also cast beautifully, too. I find it to be a better Scandi rod, but it throws a Skagit head just as well.

Dennis
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I know a lot of guys that have beulah switch rods and love them to death, they use them for atlantic salmon and the odd steelhead and handle them well
Old 09-21-2012, 11:06 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I have a Winston BIIX 12' 6" 6/7. It's a great light rod. I bought it primarily for throwing a Scandi line for summer runs, but it handles a Skagit well too for tossing big flies for winter fishing.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Which spey rod? Sage One Vs Sage TCX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

A rod that I am seeing a lot of in NorCal and Southern Oregon is the Anderson Custom Rods 6129-4 STH. Gary Anderson is a rod builder based in Southern Oregon. His rods are beautiful works of art. They also cast beautifully, too. I find it to be a better Scandi rod, but it throws a Skagit head just as well.

Dennis
Have this Anderson rod and it's a total delight for Summer run fishing. And Dennis is totally correct, this is a 'Scandi head' rod, NOT a Skagit IMHO.
Fred
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

I have the 13,6 #8, Sage ONE and I love that machine almost as much as my wife. Maybe a bit bigger than what you were looking at, but suits me fine for Atlantic Salmon. It's a powerful rod when it needs to be, and I have great enjoyment from both tossing Scandi & Skagit with it.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Well I have decided to get the Sage One #6. I got to mess around with the rod and I have to say is wow!

I have talked to a bunch of local guys to and some that are guides and they say I cant go wrong with the One for steelhead in Northern California.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good call on the rod and line weight. Perfect for the Sac, Russian (Healdsburg) and even the Chetco at normal 'lower water.' If you head north you'll find a 6 is all your really need on the Rogue as long as the flows (like now) are at/below the 1500-1600 cfs level.