The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 12:36 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Sweet spot in a rod lineup?

It may just be me but I have sometimes found a rod I really like and bought a different weight/length in the same model only to find that it didn't seem to have the same "magic" as the rod I liked so much. Here are a couple rods that I think have a little something special compared to others I have owned/cast from the same series,

Sage ZXL >> 386

Orvis original graphite >> Far & Fine

Winston BiiT >> 486

what are some rods that you think really stand out within a model lineup?

Rich
imxer likes this.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:19 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sweet spot in a rod lineup?

Sage slt 904. G loomis glx 1204. G loomis gl3 904 -3 Sage 490xp. Sage 691xp
Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Scott G2 884-4.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Sage 389LL, Z-Axis 905,906

Winston 4-6 weight WT's, TMF

Scott G 885 and STS 908

Hardy Zenith 864, 904, 905 Proaxis 908

Greys 104 Streamflex

Cortland Brook 865
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Burk, What line do you find optimal on Proaxis 9'/#8? Do you find it to be a straight 8-weight or to need a bit heavier line as suggested by G. Andeson?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Sage TXL 4710-3

I own a 3710-3 and have cast a 1710-3. I didnt buy the 1wt because it didnt stand out enough over the 1wt I have. I love the 3wt but the 4wt TXL lands dries as softly as the 3wt, can throw bigger dry / dropper combos and handles the wind better. Oh and the feel of the fish on the rod isnt substantially different than the 3wt so a 10" Brookie is still fun
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Scott F2 653-3
Orvis F&F (5wt.) staggered ferrule
Winston BIIx 6w
Steffan Brothers 7' 3/4 wt.
chased likes this.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I'm with Mojo on this one. The Scott F2 particularly in the 6'6" 3wt configuration is definitely the sweet spot in the F2 line up in my opinion as well. It is my favorite/funnest rod that I own and possibly the finest short glass rod (or any rod for that matter) that I've fished.

-Chase
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Burk, What line do you find optimal on Proaxis 9'/#8? Do you find it to be a straight 8-weight or to need a bit heavier line as suggested by G. Andeson?
pro4x is pretty slow by fast action rod standards so id go with the recommended line weight.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I've been running Liquid Crystal in an 8 and it kills. It feels like the rod was built around it. I talked to Andy Mills at the show and he said those rods were designed to be fished with true to size lines.

The other sweet spot rod in the Proaxis rod is the 911 the default Gold Cup Tarpon rod.