The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   2 piece or 4 piece ? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/297515-2-piece-4-piece.html)

action 09-23-2012 03:09 PM

2 piece or 4 piece ?

New to fly fishing so I know nothing. Looking at a 4 wt but was wondering 2 piece or 4 piece or does it matter?
Thanks Jack

rockriver 09-23-2012 03:29 PM

Re: 2 piece or 4 piece ?

All of my rods used to be 2 piece except my pack rods. My new ones are 4 and they are great. I reccommend the 4 piece.

wannafish 09-23-2012 03:32 PM

Hi, welcome aboard! Two piece are hard to find now but I prefer them especially with a rod-on-reel case for ease of break down for walking between pools. Some prefer the 4 piece for travelling. I'm told it makes little difference in casting smoothness etc. so I guess it comes down to personal preference. Good luck on your search!

noreaster 09-23-2012 04:42 PM

This is a really good question. I have been thinking about a thread to ask the same question. I'm glad you did. I hope some rod builders chime in. Personally I look for 2 piece options. I like fewer pieces in the bush, fewer moving parts. I've wondered if multiple ferrules, meant any compromise in performance? Would a 2 piece perform better than a 4 piece in the same rod? Not entirely sure. Down falls of 2 pieces are travelability is limited. I like shorter lighter rods, so 2 piece works a bit better. The trend is definitely 4 piece. I wish more rods in 4 wt. and under were offered in 2 piece. I did find my st.croix imperial in a 4 wt. in 2 pieces. LOve it.

littledavid123 09-23-2012 04:56 PM

I think you have already answered your on question. :) If you like the 2 piece then stick with it. Personally I don't think there is a difference between 2 and 4 piece rods, if there were, every wannabe hot shot would be carrying 2 piece rods. That's just how they roll...:D

I have both and unless traveling by air there isn't much difference in portability.

Dave

Liphookedau 09-23-2012 05:12 PM

Hi Jack,from Australia Welcome.
The only things I will add is The 4 piece Rods are much better if you happen to be going on a Plane,especially Float Planes,most people take them on Commercial Flights as "Carry On Baggage".
It doesn't matter where you go in The US there is usually someone carrying a Rod or two.
It's not uncommon for 2 Piece Rods to be damaged In Transit/Handling on Planes.
Also as mentioned there must be Many Thousands of people in The US who Hike & Fish so 4,5,6 or 7 Piece Rods are the go.
Another Thing they are not as easy to load into Cars,Trucks or even store when not in use.
Brian.

williamhj 09-23-2012 07:05 PM

With the exception of bamboo, I only go 4 piece. From what I understand, the additional ferrules are factored into rod design and aren't much of a factor anymore. I don't find the set up and take down to be that much different time-wise and the portability is great with a 4 piece. The store on a small, short shelf in my garage and I find my 4 piece graphite rod tube fit better in the back of my SUV than my longer bamboo tube. I have a 4 piece 6'6" 2wt rod that fits in an amazingly small rod tube and is very easy for backpacking.

It's a personal preference really. If it is easy for you to store a 2 piece, it fits well in your vehicle, and you prefer them, go for it. If there's a chance you're gonna take it on a plane or might find the shorter tube handy, go with four. If you're looking to build one, there are plenty of 2 piece blanks out there.

littledavid123 09-23-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littledavid123 (Post 485700)
I think you have already answered your on question. :) If you like the 2 piece then stick with it. Personally I don't think there is a difference between 2 and 4 piece rods, if there were, every wannabe hot shot would be carrying 2 piece rods. That's just how they roll...:D

I have both and unless traveling by air there isn't much difference in portability.

Dave

Sorry Action, I made a mistake of reading another post and thinking it was from you, obvioulsly you haven't made up your mind yet. :o

Dave

bigtone1411 09-23-2012 08:04 PM

Most of my rods I have purchased in the last decade are 4 piece. I have some sweet rods that are 4 piece. I believe rod technology is to the point where it doesn't make a difference. I have some older two piece rods that I would never get rid of though. I do take the 4 piece rods on flights and family road trips (3 kids) where space is at a premium. It sure is handy. Every once in a while I do a hike in fishing trip. The 4 piece rods stap nicely to the side of my day pack, for hands free hiking and climbing.

If you think you will never use the benefits of a 4 or more piece rod and you have your eye on a particular 2 piece than get it. If you think you will need the portability of a 4 piece, then dont worry. Nowadays they perform just as well. Or, just buy one of each. You can never have too many fly rods.;)

pete a 09-23-2012 08:35 PM

When fishing I like a 2 piece, one less joint to align/come loose. When traveling in a car alone or with a one other passenger then the 2 piece length is no issue. Darn hard to spot a performance difference with modern rods between 2 or 4 pc.

When traveling with more people, flying or distance I like the 4 pc. Really helps for portability and shipping.

It is harder to find the better rods in 2pc now. though when you do they are often discounted.

Pete A.