The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 PM

kc8qvo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heavy weight rods - big flies

Thanks for all the information and replies. That was exactly what I was after.

It sounds like my original plan for a 10wt is still the route to take instead of going up to a 12.

I do not have any salt water trips planned so I can't comment much on the species or locations. My thought process, though, is if I am going to get another rod having the thought in the back of my head of having it capable of saltwater fishing would be nice so there is little upgrading to get it ready, instead of buying another outfit. I could see surf casting on the east coast as well as going after bonefish and striped bass, just a few ideas. I don't know that I would do much monster fish fishing.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 PM

cboz76 is on a distinguished road

For most salwater species that require big flies, a 12wt if the way to go. I go after tarpon and sailfish and a 10wt would get destroyed by fish of that size
Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM

I cast a 10wt Orvis Access today and compared it with my 6wt Orvis TLS. The 10wt is definitely a stiffer heavier duty rod. I did not have a fly or anything on the leader, just the bare line. In any event, the 10wt seems like it will have the power I'm after. I have some work to do on my casting technique also.

What surprised me was how soft and light my 6wt felt when I went back to it. The line on the 6wt is Scientific Anglers Titan Taper - a heavier line for turning over big flies. The line on my 6wt felt good, but the rod was such a big difference in action.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qvo View Post
I cast a 10wt Orvis Access today and compared it with my 6wt Orvis TLS. The 10wt is definitely a stiffer heavier duty rod. I did not have a fly or anything on the leader...
Tie a large puffy yarn indicator to the end of a leader. There should be plenty of wind resistance to simulate casting a large fly.

Dennis
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM

I have a simulated fly made out of a lot of frayed nylon string (no hooks). I used to use it for casting practice in the front yard. I forgot to bring it to the store with me.

That gives me an idea - maybe I should make up a few of those in different sizes/weights. This will give me a gauge to run off of when trying rods in the future.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's a guy here in CT, a casting instructor named Mark Sedotti, who in demos casts 20" bulky flies with a 7wt using his own "Sayonara Sling" cast.
Not a trick, but obviously not something you can replicate with yarn

6/0 Sedotti Slammer

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 AM

The next questions are how far does the fly fly? and was this in calm conditions or breezy conditions?

I can put a large steel spoon lure on my 4wt rod and cast it to muskies too. That isn't the point. The line should be what carries the fly, not the fly (or whatever you put on the end of the line) carrying the line.